Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Whole World has Gone Gay!

• 28-02-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

My sister is 11, and recently, in her 11 year old world, absolutely everything has become GAY!

Her dinner is Gay.
    The news is Gay.
    Her teacher is Gay.
    Homework is Gay.
    My car is Gay.
    Hollyoaks is Gay.
    The gym is Gay.
    School is incredibly Gay.
    Drama is Gay.
    P.E is Gay.
    Her confirmation was Gay.
    Being grounded? Yup, you guessed it, that's Gay!

Just the other day she informed my mother that she(being my mother) was 'such a ****' for making Shepherds pie for dinner.

I went to an all girls school as a kid, and never remember thinking everything was 'gay'. My brother, on the other hand, went through a phase of referring to everyone, and everything, as Gay or Queer.

At one point his principle remarked "By all accounts I seem to be teaching a school full of Gay's, Queers and faggots, every subject I teach is Gay, as are all of the teaching staff at this school. The school itself is Gay, as is the area in which it is located."
    My brother came home and told my mam what the principal had said, so she went up to the school to find out what had provoked such a statement.
    The principal informed her that he was very seriously considering banning the use of the words 'GAY', 'QUEER' and '****' during school hours, and explained to her how they seemed to be the only words used to describe anything or anyone anymore.

In some ways, it is quite funny, I mean, hearing her call my Mam a **** raised a bit of a giggle. And the other night she told my granny she was Gay for watching Eastenders.
    My Granny 85 years old!

My sister goes to a mixed school, so I am guessing she has picked up this terminology from the boys in her class.

Anyhow, was just wondering, did you, or your siblings or kids go through the GAY phase?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Is she trying to come out to you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought it was "Ghey" on tha interweb? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    At one point his principle remarked "By all accounts I seem to be teaching a school full of Gay's, Queers and faggots, every subject I teach is Gay, as are all of the teaching staff at this school. The school itself is Gay, as is the area in which it is located."
    LOLAPALOOZA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

this thread is.....stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Thats good to know.

Sweet ill buy a poodle and no one will slag me (yeaaaaaaa)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hey Mrs Doyle

Personally I hate words such as gay and anal being used out of context. "haha that pencil is gay". God I hate it when people say that, seems to be a common thing in Dublin with people aged between 14 - 26.
    "the guy at the meeting was so anal". My boss (37) said that the other day and I felt like punching him. What ridiculous comments!

To sum it up alot of young people unfortunately are using these two words on a regular bases and it "wrecks my tits" ( <-- hate that saying too btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

When I was in primary school, from 1979 onwards, the early years were relatively innocent. However from about 1984 onwards, everyone was indeed 'a gaybo'. Sometimes they suffered from 'Arse Injected Death Sentance' or AIDS.

Now at that age I hadn't a clue what any of this really meant. I think today that the word 'gay' as used in schools is pretty much the same way we use the word 'crap'. We don't mean that we're not taking this physical pile of steaming, stinking poo from our bosses, we mean that we're not quite happy with his opinon of our work.

Not a big issue really as I don't belileve that she means your Gran is homosexual, it's the usual negative associations with anything that is different. Kids do not want to be seen as different as being different means getting bullied...unless you're the biggest kid in the school. Hopefully she will grow out of it. It's a typical inability to articulate due to an unwillingness to expand the vocabulary. Then again a big vocab is also a target for bullying...no-win situation.

/btw, this thread is GAY (ghey)! ;)

r3nu4l wrote:
    Not a big issue really as I don't belileve that she means your Gran is homosexual, it's the usual negative associations with anything that is different.

yeah but what a stupid word to use. What happened to those glorious words like crap, shít, bollix etc... way more universal, less offensive and in some ways less tacky and immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Dont worry Mrs Doyle. It is no different to teens in the 90's where they copied the phrase "thats you that is" from Newman and biaddel. e.g. Look at the you and then look at a turd and say , that turd, "thats you that is". This went on for about 2 years. The everything is gay thing has been going on for about 2 years now and only really heard it in ireland in the last year or so. Will last about another 1 or max two until some new stupid crap is spoken by teens.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Trilla wrote:
    "the guy at the meeting was so anal". My boss (37) said that the other day and I felt like punching him. What ridiculous comments!

In this context he was referring to the person as being anally-retentive, which means uptight, or mostly obsessive. But the cliché is annoying.

The "Gay" thing passes. As mentioned it's a quick and easy insult that is not a taboo word. It also tends to annoy people; it has annoyed you as an adult.

Kids know how to press buttons so well and there is nothing funnier than an adult trying to face down a "mini-adult" with all the answers.

I'd be more concerned with the lack of vocabulary that revolves around these words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Aha, now that's because 'gay' isn't a swearword, so it's become a catch-all for all things negative.

By the way, I don't ever remember teenagers being particularly eloquent about their feelings on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Trilla wrote:

This actually is referring to Freud's Psycho-sexual stages of life, I don't think that its in the same category as when a child/teenager uses the word Gay, unless of course he actually meant it in the other way. Well then he is just Gay.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

yep my brother used to call EVERYTHING gay. He's 20 now and sometimes i am gay , sometimes i am a ****, but mostly i look like Derek Davis*....He has a cruel sense of humour.

*no, you pack of gay's , i don't really look like Derek Davis..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah to be a kid again: pick a phrase and try in put it into the context of everything you do for 6 months until you have expended all avenues....How else is one supposed to learn the language?

It's just one of them 'trends' or 'phases'...I remember a phase where everyone was obsessed with the color Black because it was "Bhaaahd"...like the Fonz or something. Oh, if only the kid who started that trend knew how Gay the Fonz really was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

*flaps hand in effeminate manner like steelworker on simpsons*

Oh be nice!

We used to always say it, still would only very occasionally (mainly to describe a shirt or something you wouldnt want to be seen wearing, "thats a gay looking shirt" etc)

Nowadays we just seem to refer to anything bad as spastic "spastic bus is late", "spastic film on tv" etc etc.

And tell your sister Hollyoaks is far from gay *removes pants to watch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Aha, now that's because 'gay' isn't a swearword, so it's become a catch-all for all things negative.

Bang on. Using gay I don't mind however I find the word '****' very offensive. Instead of using a catch all word I find it a lot more aggressive and directed then just using 'gay'.

Tbh Doyler, your sister has no idea what it even means or else she wouldn't say it to your gran :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Must be hard to be a parent if you kid is saying stuff like that, I know I'd fall over laughing. Maybe teach her a few more words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

layke wrote:
    Tbh Doyler, your sister has no idea what it even means or else she wouldn't say it to your gran :)

I think she knows what it means but the word has taken on different connotations for her. To her and her peers 'gay' means 'stupid', 'crap' etc.

As MAJD said, teenagers have never been particularly eloquent. As I said, those that are eloquent are considered 'gay' :rolleyes: and get beaten up (in boys schools anyway ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i think it's just an age thing, my brother would have used that as his insult of choice for many years. Does make you question somebodies sexuality when they say it so much. Its funny when parents are called gay or things which by definition can't be gay. I think there need to be some gay sex-education classes thought in schools, as the kids just don't understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I blame the internets.

Gay, Ghey, ****, Homo etc. are all-in-one insults commonly used in online gaming (populated by many a 12 year old American kid)... apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've never seen the word 'fag' used more than in any counter-strike server you care to pick.

OP: slap your sister around the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Stephen wrote:
    I've never seen the word 'fag' used more than in any counter-strike server you care to pick.

OP: slap your sister around the head.
    i have this week. Some are Dieing off luckily. Since this thread has turned serious.
    Fag is in common use. see wwww.purepwnage.com

Gay was used as a common insult in secondary schools and it probably is to this day.

I have to say the Gay community has never had it easy and the sooner there allowed to get married the better.
    Might break some of the stereotypical nonsense.

Dont get me wrong there is a big difference between a positive use of the word and a negative use derogatory use.

edit:spelling fixes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think you may have misinterpreted me :) I mean i see muppets calling each other fags on CS servers all the bloody time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    "By all accounts I seem to be teaching a school full of Gay's, Queers and faggots, every subject I teach is Gay, as are all of the teaching staff at this school. The school itself is Gay, as is the area in which it is located."
    Oh my god where the hell do you live? That is one liberal place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Just the other day she informed my mother that she(being my mother) was 'such a ****' for making Shepherds pie for dinner.

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I just had to expalin the situation (discussion forums etc) to my office and then read that line out .... priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Lock your sister in a cold dark garden shed.... feed her only porridge then tell her "Unlucky". Homosexual Hater!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Lump wrote:
    Lock your sister in a cold dark garden shed.... feed her only porridge then tell her "Unlucky". Homosexual Hater!!!!

:D Thing is, like someone else said already, I don't think she's thinking about what she's saying.
    She knows what a 'GAY' person is, so how the hell is her dinner Gay? or her Homework Gay?
    It just seems to be a word that the kids have latched onto and they are using it to describe anything remotely negative.

Well if Chris Moyles can be fined for calling something Gay. The association that something rubbish might be gay was the argument they gave. However in Chris's case he was talking about pink over the top car..... Actually come to think of it, it wasn't Moyles at all, it was Jeremy Clarkson!

Anyway, my point being that using Gay as a negative is indeed Homophobic.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Maybe your sister just infact witnessed her dinner having intimate relations with another dinner of the same gender, and was merely pointing it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't fault the kid's opinion here TBH

Mrs_Doyle wrote:

Hollyoaks is Gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Between the ages of 12 and 17, gay is just another word for bad.

But that's wrong......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Lump wrote:
    But that's wrong......

Why cause its homophobic or just been used in the wrong context? pffft....people make too much of a fuss about kids using that word...i can think of alot worse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dave wrote:
    Maybe your sister just infact witnessed her dinner having intimate relations with another dinner of the same gender, and was merely pointing it out?
    The beef was choking the chicken, while the pork was being sodomised?

anyway, everything is gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    My sister is 11, and recently, in her 11 year old world, absolutely everything has become GAY!

Her dinner is Gay.
    The news is Gay.
    Her teacher is Gay.
    Homework is Gay.
    My car is Gay.
    Hollyoaks is Gay.
    The gym is Gay.
    School is incredibly Gay.
    Drama is Gay.
    P.E is Gay.
    Her confirmation was Gay.
    Being grounded? Yup, you guessed it, that's Gay!

Dont see the problem. shes spot on! they're all totally gay! I wish i was that knowledgable when i was 11!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Ur sister seems sad, give her a hug!

even though hugs are gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

super gay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Kids will be kids I guess, but..
    layke wrote:
    Bang on. Using gay I don't mind however I find the word '****' very offensive. Instead of using a catch all word I find it a lot more aggressive and directed then just using 'gay'.
    '****' is an offensive word. The problem with using 'gay' as an insult or to emphasise a disliking to something is that it's a descriptive term for a whole group of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

unreggd wrote:
    Ur sister seems sad, give her a hug!

even though hugs are gay
    txt sp iz gay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Trilla wrote:
    Personally I hate words such as gay and anal being used out of context.
    Trilla wrote:
    Was it out of context, or had the guy been anal retentive?
    Referring to Freudian theory isn't quite the same as a 12-year-old CS player calling someone a fagg0t newb. Even when the understanding of Freudian theory is poor.
    Goodshape wrote:
    '****' is an offensive word. The problem with using 'gay' as an insult or to emphasise a disliking to something is that it's a descriptive term for a whole group of people.
    "****" and "gay" are both inoffensive non-sexual words (a **** is a type of food or a bundle or sticks for burning, gay means happy) which were then used insultingly for homosexuals (**** referring to the idea that one should burn them, gay because it had come to mean male prostitutes [previously meaning prostitute of either gender, previously still meaning someone of objectionable sexual morals]) and then both reclaimed to greater or lesser degrees by greater or lesser subsections of the gay community with greater or lesser success.
    Gay is the word that was reclaimed most successfully.
    Personally I prefer queer, (another word that has gone through the transition of non-sexual -> insult for homosexuals -> reclaimed by at least some homosexuals), but then that's partly because being Bi I don't feel the word "gay" applies to me directly.
    One good thing that about being a queer is that if someone calls me one (or any other such words) I can go "gosh, that must be why I love cock so much". This tends to work so well that I recommend straights pretending to be queer should they have been insulted in such a manner and using a similar comeback (certainly many straights do).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

i'm gay... and so is my wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Trilla wrote:
    "the guy at the meeting was so anal". My boss (37) said that the other day and I felt like punching him. What ridiculous comments! ( <-- hate that saying too btw)

I reckon your boss meant, the guy was anal as in analy retentive, as in a tight arse,or a perfectionist, ie every thing has to be perfect for him to be happy.

I doubt he meant anything about homosexuality being bad.

I'd say it was you who took the wrong meaning from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Goodshape wrote:
    The problem with using 'gay' as an insult or to emphasise a disliking to something is that it's a descriptive term for a whole group of people.

And was there never a problem with homosexuals using the word to describe themselves, considering it was originally a word meaning happy, merry, bright, or lively ...? Those meanings are still the first definitions you'll find when you look it up in the dictionary, incidentally.

There's a train of thought that says "They stole the word first, now someone else is stealing it. Big deal."

I won't wear pink shirts. If someone asks me why, my answer is "because they're gay". Sorry.

Anyway, If people want to use the word 'gay' to mean stupid/crap/whatever then I, personally, have no problem with it - but then again, I'm not gay...

Languages evolve. Words meanings change. ... and words ARE actually allowed have more than one meaning you know... I think the first definition on UrbanDictionary.com for 'gay' hits the nail on the head, which (at the time of writing) is, as follows:
    1. gay

1. jovial or happy, good-spirited

2. a homosexual male or female

3. often used to describe something stupid or unfortunate. originating from homophobia. quite preferable among many teenage males in order to buff up their "masculinity"

1. "We'll have a gay old time."

2. "You DO know he's gay. Notice his homoerotic pornography collection."

3. "Man, these seats are gay. I can't even see what's going on!"

Off topic,- I'm regularly guilty myself of using the word "retard" when referring to people who are clearly not actually technically mentally retarded (or whatever the current PC term for that is), but are just, at the time, displaying an unusual level of stupidity and/or lack of common sense - I usually only say it under my breath or in my mind where nobody can hear me. (Somewhat strangely enough) I wouldn't use the word when referring to someone who actually IS mentally retarded.

Is THAT so bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

For UCD's Rainbow Week the LGBT had "Homophobia is Gay" t-shirts. I want one. :(

Mrs. Doyle, perhaps a nice cup of tea and a sandwich would sort her out?

(Would I be wrong in imagining your sister goes to school in a south Dublin suburb?)

gay used in this sense is wrong and immature. **** used in this sense is disgraceful and extremely offensive IMO.
    foinse wrote:
    I'd say it was you who took the wrong meaning from it.

Regardless of the Freudian theory, its still a vulgure word and is quite often even in this situation used out of context. Either way I could think of better professional ways to describe someones antics and attitude. Its very American also.

I reckon using a more polite word, such as "cornflakes" or "merengue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭tamburlaine

Talliesin wrote:
    Was it out of context, or had the guy been anal retentive?
    Referring to Freudian theory isn't quite the same as a 12-year-old CS player calling someone a fagg0t newb. Even when the understanding of Freudian theory is poor.

"****" and "gay" are both inoffensive non-sexual words (a **** is a type of food or a bundle or sticks for burning, gay means happy) which were then used insultingly for homosexuals (**** referring to the idea that one should burn them, gay because it had come to mean male prostitutes [previously meaning prostitute of either gender, previously still meaning someone of objectionable sexual morals]) and then both reclaimed to greater or lesser degrees by greater or lesser subsections of the gay community with greater or lesser success.
    Gay is the word that was reclaimed most successfully.
    Personally I prefer queer, (another word that has gone through the transition of non-sexual -> insult for homosexuals -> reclaimed by at least some homosexuals), but then that's partly because being Bi I don't feel the word "gay" applies to me directly.
    One good thing that about being a queer is that if someone calls me one (or any other such words) I can go "gosh, that must be why I love cock so much". This tends to work so well that I recommend straights pretending to be queer should they have been insulted in such a manner and using a similar comeback (certainly many straights do).
    I think the bundle of sticks meaning is spelt Fagot.

'Mo' tends to annoy me too. It's ridiculous how that can sometimes be the first thing out of people's mouths when they feel threatened by someone. It's a terrible reaction, usually because a said person may dress well or are better looking regardless of their sexual persuasion. Bigots should be severely berated..publically humiliated.

Haha..the bit about yer mother and granny got a titter out of me. I'm sure the use of that word 'titter' might be deemed a little bit too gay also.

Terry wrote:
    The beef was choking the chicken, while the pork was being sodomised?

anyway, everything is gay.

A lot of meat there..

• Advertisement
Advertisement