Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toshiba A100-027 PC World

• 28-02-2007 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭

Lads

I bought one of these for my brother last week, looks like a great spec doesn't it? I had being looking for a decent priced core duo for a while, maybe a month.

We got the laptop last week, transferred over all his files only to realise it is a dual core not a core duo. It is advertised as a dual core on the main page but when you click on the product details it says it is a core duo.

Now I am well pissed off and it has taken me till today to get through to the only guy who looks after web sales in Ireland. He is just after getting back to me and saying that his tech guy says there is no difference between a dual core and a core duo!!! Unbelieveble.

Anyway just thought I'd warn you's all here about this offer.

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

A dual-core device contains two independent microprocessors

core duo is a type of dual core processor made by intel

and other example of a dual core processor is the AMD Turion X2 processor made by AMD

In other words, there is no difference between the dual core and core duo processor

Consult the commericial example inwikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dubmick wrote:
    looks like a great spec doesn't it?

First off, no!!

anyway take a screen shot of the ad - you are entitled to a full refund under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 because the product is not as advertised.

If you are refused this then get onto the Director of Consumer Affiars.

Also its under Webcams for some strange reason - PCWolrd really have their heads up their asses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Call_me_al wrote:
    First off, no!!

anyway take a screen shot of the ad - you are entitled to a full refund under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 because the product is not as advertised.

If you are refused this then get onto the Director of Consumer Affiars.

Also its under Webcams for some strange reason - PCWolrd really have their heads up their asses...

incorrect,

The product is as advertised

The goods are as advertised

As explained, the core duo is a type of dual core processor, therefore, the advertisement is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

confused

I really should have noticed in didn't say core 2 duo then?

The sticker on the laptop say dual core not core duo though. Thanks for the advice. Btw, my brother isn't really bothered as he uses it for is word, email and music.

Call_me_al wrote:
    First off, no!!

It is no super machine but I though for the money it was a good spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

swingking wrote:
    incorrect,

The product is as advertised

The goods are as advertised

As explained, the core duo is a type of dual core processor, therefore, the advertisement is correct

Incorrect!!

the product is described as an 'Intel Core Duo' - if it is any other type of processor (as i understand from above) then he is due a refund, even if it is a better processor than described. Now if the description was a 'Dual Core Processor' and you got a Core Duo then grand.
    EDIT - From re-reading the OP it seems the line above is what happened and not the other way round - SORRY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a great offer.

For example Dell have a 1501 with Turion X2, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hard Drive, and X1150 graphics for 699, which as an all round machine is vastly superior to what you have, and costs 100 less.

Call_me_al wrote:
    Incorrect!!

the product is described as an 'Intel Core Duo' - if it is any other type of processor (as i understand from above) then he is due a refund, even if it is a better processor than described. Now if the description was a 'Dual Core Processor' and you got a Core Duo then grand.
    EDIT - From re-reading the OP it seems the line above is what happened and not the other way round - SORRY!

it is a dual core that I got.

HavoK wrote:
    Not a great offer.

For example Dell have a 1501 with Turion X2, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hard Drive, and X1150 graphics for 699, which as an all round machine is vastly superior to what you have, and costs 100 less.

thanks Havok, anything else to cheer me up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Haha, it may not be nice to hear, but he's right. Don't get hung up about it though it's not like you got absolutely shafted or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

HavoK wrote:
    Not a great offer.

Where BTW the outlet? Actually forget that I see it now on the main site. Not a bad deal.

Advertisement