Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old radiator with new smaller one

Options
  • 28-02-2007 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there, one of our rads is bust we've tried bleeding, balancing what have you & it gets barely lukewarm at the bottom of it. Its not worked since we moved here & the rads are prob over 25yrs old so no worries. anyway we want to replace it with a smaller rad which takes up less space as is a v small bedroom. the pipes at either end of current rad go into the floor so we'd have to do move these in to fit the smaller rad. Is this something best left to professionals or has anyone done this themselves or any tips? Prob is getting a plumber to do such a small job will be a nightmare i expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Probably quite a difficult job, I assume the pipes are copper , it would mean digging up the floorboards or concrete floor and making new connections to the pipes underneath the floors. These are probably soldered fittings as well so it is a bit messy.

The other possibility is to run the pipework over the floor as in join on some pipework to the pipes coming up to the radiator so that it meets the new radiator. Either way probably requires some soldering skills.

The easiest way would be to get a slimline radiator the same size if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

thanks for that. its wot i thought. yeh copper pipes. its wooden floorboards they can be taken up easily but it's the pipes will be the problem. maybe i have to just seach for super skinny rad instead thats same lenght. is there any one you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

DSN wrote:
    Hi there, one of our rads is bust we've tried bleeding, balancing what have you & it gets barely lukewarm at the bottom of it. Its not worked since we moved here & the rads are prob over 25yrs old so no worries. anyway we want to replace it with a smaller rad which takes up less space as is a v small bedroom. the pipes at either end of current rad go into the floor so we'd have to do move these in to fit the smaller rad. Is this something best left to professionals or has anyone done this themselves or any tips? Prob is getting a plumber to do such a small job will be a nightmare i expect.
    I know that you want to change the rad anyway, but Are you sure that the rad is the problem ? When you bleed it, do you get air or water ?
    If you do want to replace the rad and have copper pipes and floorboards, you should be able to do quite a neat job replacing it with any size.
    Jim.

Advertisement