Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoD 2 with Vista

• 28-02-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

Anyone get it to work with Vista yet??
    I can't it's installed but won't play, freezes on startup :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Somebody pointed out to me that you need a pretty well specced out machine to run Vista AND play games.

What spec is yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

A friend of mine has a pretty high spec PC with Vista so he can run the game but there are no graphics drivers out for it yet so he's only getting 5fps in DX7! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Yeah I played it for a bit and it ran with no real difference to playing in XP as far as I could see.
    I was using a 7950GX2 with one core disabled but due to nVidia drivers not having any support for SLI and generally being horsesh1t. I have gone back to XP while they get there fingers out a release a decent driver for nVidia cards.

What GFX card have you got dwaned & what drivers are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

I got it to play:-) Did a full re-instal and it worked. ~The start up screen stays black for 2 or 3 min befor it starts up but I can suffer that for now. Also I can't get the updates to instal, actually I did get one but the later 2 won't.
    This is the spec of my machine.

2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core (2 installed)
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

750.15 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

MSI CD-RW CR52 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Board: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI
    Bus Clock: 210 megahertz

RADEON X800GTO2

2 Gig Ram. (1GB Ballastix and
    1GB Geil PC3200 UltraX-BH5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Anyone having lag issues running it under Vista? I've a semi decent spec'd machine here but getting lots of lag?

Processor AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 146 4.2
    Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB 4.5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 5.9
    Gaming graphics 751 MB Total available graphics memory 5.8
    Primary hard disk 41GB Free (69GB Total) 5.5

• Advertisement

not getting any lag at all, running quiet well now but won't save my settings..
    Try this, worked well for me.. Go to the propeties of cod2_mp.exe, run compatablility mode for xp sp2 and run as admin , sorted loads in seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It runs fine for me but it keeps me out of each game after a few minutes telling me to go to evenbalance.com and update my PunkBuster files. I've done this manually and have the most up to date files but it's still kicking me out after a few minutes.
    Anyone have any idea what's going on?

The more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to make the switch to Vista! I have it at home but I think I'll wait a good 8~12 months before installing...

Try this, worked well for me.. Go to the propeties of cod2_mp.exe, run compatablility mode for xp sp2 and run as admin , sorted loads in seconds

I have it running that way from the start. I can get into servers no problem just getting lag. I've a feeling it may be my wireless card as its 802.11b card and very pre Vista. I'll try it over cable and see how it runs. Due to upgrade issues I lost my XP partition and I don't fancy going back to XP at this stage. I came across that save settings problem but it seems ok now.

What kind of lag are you getting exactly? FPS lag (frame rate issue) or latency lag (ping, packect loss)?

• Advertisement

Looks like latency lag. Have the 101.41 forceware drivers and all is ok in single player mode. I'll run a utp cable tonight and see how it plays. Gut feeling is its my wireless card is at fault.

I say connect via RG45 and see if it works. If it does, it's wifi card at fault. If same, could be ISP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

dwaned wrote:
    I got it to play:-) Did a full re-instal and it worked. ~The start up screen stays black for 2 or 3 min befor it starts up but I can suffer that for now. Also I can't get the updates to instal, actually I did get one but the later 2 won't.
    This is the spec of my machine.
    Are you sure that's not because you're connecting to a server through a router? I've had the same problem on XP on two different machines. The reason I was given was that it was something to do with a router.

Binomate wrote:
    Are you sure that's not because you're connecting to a server through a router? I've had the same problem on XP on two different machines. The reason I was given was that it was something to do with a router.
    I'm using the same Router I used on XP which gave me no problems. Since I changed the setting to run as Admin it's been fine starting up, only problem now is installing update patches 1.4 and 1.5, they can't find the game on my machine and also it won't save all my settings properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Been playing on 64bit vista without a problem whenever i dabble in cod2.

Solid framerate (same as with xp) and general performance is identical.
    I got an ATI card tho which have had decent drivers since last september. I know nvidia drivers are currently cack.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

im running it with Vista Home Premium on 1.6ghz centrino duo with a 256mb nvidia goforce 7400 & 1gb or ram runs grand in dx7 in a high res with AA x2

im running it with Vista Home Premium on 1.6ghz centrino duo with a 256mb nvidia goforce 7400 & 1gb or ram runs grand in dx7 in a high res with AA x2
    What kind of FPS are you getting though B-man (outside, not in buildings)?

I've nearly come to the end of my quest and tether for a solution to my lag problems. The server I play on may be my problem possibly? Its a rifle server called TCF Bolt'sRus and usually has around 30+ on it with hectic play. My pings are fine -50ms. I've been running over wireless 802.11 to my router and had thought it may be this but after running over UTP there is minimal difference. I even tried using DX7 on a 7800GT and also minimal difference. :eek: Disabled a load of services etc. Need to play a few more servers with less players and see how it goes. :(

Dingatron wrote:
    Need to play a few more servers with less players and see how it goes. :(
    That's the best way to find out!

Yep played a good bit last night on a BnB server with around 6-8 players and it was a lot smoother. Not impressed with my 3mb line though tbh. Hopedfully the upload speeds will be increased soon although I'm not holding my breath on that one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement