Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house with cats?

Options
  • 28-02-2007 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi I'm moving house soon and im really worried my two cats are going to get disorientated and lost. Does anyone have any advice on how long you should keep them in the new house etc? Also I was thinking of getting them microchipped just incase-does anyone know if rescue centers in ireland actually check for chips or is it just more so in England?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We moved house a year ago and brought the two cats with us.

We kept them inside for about 5 days. They spent quite a while hiding in little spots over the house and bawling but we made sure to comfort them regularly.

When we did let them out, they didn't really stray far from their house (like a kennel for cats) in the back garden for a few days but they adapted very quickly and I feel that they are actually happier now than in the old house.

That our experience anyway but I'm sure other people could have different tales.

Maybe a collar (with address and phone) will suffice instead of a chip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Keep the cat indoors at night, maybe just take it outside with you to play with them. Always bring it back in. They will be curious around your new house, so let them go around and mark things to get comfortable. Micro chipping is a good idea, very common in the US but not sure about Ireland and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lea_20 wrote:
    Hi I'm moving house soon and im really worried my two cats are going to get disorientated and lost. Does anyone have any advice on how long you should keep them in the new house etc? Also I was thinking of getting them microchipped just incase-does anyone know if rescue centers in ireland actually check for chips or is it just more so in England?

We've just adopted a six month old cat from the Vets and were advised to keep her inside for two months!.

Seem's such a long time, but we're not taking a chance with her straying so she'll be in for the two!.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have no experience of this but keeping them in for awhile until they get accostomed to the new house is a good idea.

When you first let them out it might be wise to have fish or some nice treat outside for them to keep them busy eating and cleaning themselves.. they be less likely to stray off...

just a thought;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The cats must be kept indoors for 4 to 6 weeks they need time to settle and realise this is their home.
    Really they should be kept indoors all the time. Too many dangers with cars, dogs and lot of people out there as well.
    You can make a cat proof garden of aviary type housing for them to get outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Microchipping is commonly supported in Ireland. All vets and virtually all SPCAs scan regularly for mircochips. Eimear is both chipped and tagged - her tag in fact SAYS "Microchipped" because we can update our contact info on the microchipping site, so it seemed best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lea_20

thanks for all your advice!im going to try and keep them in or at least supervised as long as possible.theyre really hyperactive though so theyre going to be climbing the walls for a few weeks.
    does anybody know how much microchipping costs?itll be well worth it what ever the price but just want to know if i could afford to get it done this week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When we had ours done it was €40 including the registration. You may get a 'bulk discount' for more than one cat :)

Advertisement