Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student exemption on ATM cards?

Options
  • 28-02-2007 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering are students exempt from the €10/20 Government tax on ATM/Debit cards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No, we get screwed for the costs like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sign

Account/card stamp duty is the most unfair tax in Ireland today. Its charged to the accounts of young and old , the very poor as well as the rich.
    As far as I know its charged against the accounts of pensioners and taken out when the pension comes in, its taken out of childrens communion money , out of umemployment and disability payments. Its an insane tax when using electronic money is supposed to be the wave of the future.

I felt like a bit of a rant but you know Im right people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Students get charged like everyone else, regardless if its a students atm or student credit card.

I don't like the way they charge the credit card tax to the credit card and not from the current account that feeds it. It forces people to use their credit card, who may only have it emergency purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maximusdecimus

I don't like the way they charge the credit card tax to the credit card and not from the current account that feeds it. It forces people to use their credit card, who may only have it emergency purposes.[/QUOTE]

i agree,i recently went over my limit due to the government tax added on,i recieved no warning from the bank prior to the charge and ended up getting a phone call asking to make a payment to get it back under the limit,very annoying as i didnt realise why it was over. student credit cards suck,wel they do when their over the limit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Do you not read your statements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not everyone (they're all nuts and should move into the 24th century!!) views their account "live" in online banking - some people wait til they get their statement in the post each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maximusdecimus

Sangre wrote:
    Do you not read your statements?
    it wasnt on my most recent statement and it was two weeks befor my min payment was due hence why it was annoying to recieve the call!!

ciaranfo wrote:
    Not everyone (they're all nuts and should move into the 24th century!!) views their account "live" in online banking - some people wait til they get their statement in the post each month.
    I was referring to his actual statements.

I didn't think a bank would bother to ring about someone being only €40 over their limit 2 weeks before their payment due date.

Regarding the OP, stamp duty has to be paid by for all debit/cc cards. Sometimes the bank will pay this for student current accounts. It has to be paid though. They introduce the tax because less people use cheques these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To encourage student to bank with them, some banks absorb the government levy i.e. they pay it for you.

It's a totally stupid tax and I think it should be abolished. It's held up the rollout of all sorts of electronic cash sollutions, slowed down laser card adoption, etc

I don't understand why it exists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Solair wrote:
    To encourage student to bank with them, some banks absorb the government levy i.e. they pay it for you.

It's a totally stupid tax and I think it should be abolished. It's held up the rollout of all sorts of electronic cash sollutions, slowed down laser card adoption, etc

I don't understand why it exists at all.

Exists to raise revenue. Comes from the bad old days when income tax was high and government still couldn't balance the books so taxed every little thing it could to try get a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In that case it should be abolished.

I'd really rather see a slight increase in income tax rather than a whole load of stupid regressive taxes on all sorts of fiddly things.
    It's very unfair on people on low / tight incomes and favours the well off.
    Very inequitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It seems that AIB are in the process of changing their ATM cards to all include the debit card as well with the chip and pin on them as well which will then mean that I will get taxed an extra tenner for the "privelidge".

Is there any way of avoiding getting the debit card included in this card "upgrade" that seems to be being forced on us?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think so, but from reading on other threads here it seems that you'll be taxed according to usage - i.e. if you don't use the debit function, you'll only pay the ATM card rate.

BuffyBot wrote:
    I don't think so, but from reading on other threads here it seems that you'll be taxed according to usage - i.e. if you don't use the debit function, you'll only pay the ATM card rate.
    True if you don't use it even once in the preceeding year. The bank will probably charge you the €10 which you'll need to get refunded when you're in the bank.

Advertisement