Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In March 2007

• 28-02-2007 2:47pm

...can we all make the effort to call it St Patricks Day this year, and not Paddys Day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Or Snake No More Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Bollix to that.

Just to rub the salt, Im going to get disgracefully drunk from midday infront of tourists. Take that Bord Failte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Why? Does it matter. Surely all religious significance dropped around the same time as the priest's hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Can we all just call it what we like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Happy Paddy's day conor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

How about we call it Shamrock Day?? :D

Its about the only day of the year that stuff is mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just to be even more annoying, I'll use the american term and call it patty's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

How about "Happy I'm-going-to-get-loaded Day"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Oh Whacking Day, oh Whacking Day.......... A fairly good parody on it.

Also Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment.

Still whacking day FTW as how many scobies will whack the daylights out of each other the length and breath of the country on this famous day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...can we all make the effort to call it St Patricks Day this year, and not Paddys Day?

Let's go the whole hog and do it right: St Patrick's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

At least you don't have to listen to "St Patty's Day" from the Americans. :)

Slow coach wrote:
    Let's go the whole hog and do it right: St Patrick's Day.

You mean Saint Patrick's Day?

If all religious significance has gone Dragan, let's call it 'the 17th March'.

Either way, there is no St. 'Paddy', the day is not named after any other 'Paddy', we should not be happy with some cockney term for Irish people to label or holiday, or the US 'Patty' either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

no chance, and out of spite, i'll call it "God Save The Queen Day" instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ruu wrote:
    At least you don't have to listen to "St Patty's Day" from the Americans. :)

I never got that, Patty is a completely unrelated woman's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Either way, there is no St. 'Paddy'
    It's just another more affectionate term for Patrick.

Do want us all to start referring to the Taoiseach as Bartholomew as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Either way, there is no St. 'Paddy', the day is not named after any other 'Paddy', we should not be happy with some cockney term for Irish people to label or holiday, or the US 'Patty' either...

You do realise that Paddy is short for Patrick, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

People calling it St Paddy's Day doesn't bother me. Americans calling it "St Patties Day" really annoys me.

humanji wrote:
    You do realise that Paddy is short for Patrick, don't you?

No! Never!

Sure that makes it fine so. Did you send or get any St Val's cards this year? Or how about Christy, the patron Saint of travellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

No. It has no religious significance any more. Nobody says St. Valentine's day or St. Stephen's either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Why should we? Give Reasons. Reasonable ones please.
    I have no problem with paddys day, so convince me why I should.
    Pretend you're on the debate team now and present some reasonable arguments, with references where appropritate.

Otherwise, you'll be dismissed as someone with too little to worry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdjac/Saintpatricksday.JPG

Only the above can happen to make it truly Saint patricks day :d

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Silly Parade's and alcohol abuse day...

I think i'll stick to calling it whatever the hell i want this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Who is this Patrick fellow anyways? Sounds Welsh tbh. I'd say his real name was Daffyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

"A Tankard City Piss"
    anagram of saint patricks day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

connundrum wrote:
    Who is this Patrick fellow anyways? Sounds Welsh tbh. I'd say his real name was Daffyd.
    His given name (Magonus Sucatus or Maewyn Succat) was changed to Patricius either after his baptism or after he became a priest. Patricius was a typical name for a Romanised Briton of the time.

The irony that St.Patrick was actually a middle-class Brit is lost on most folk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The irony that St.Patrick was actually a middle-class Brit is lost on most folk.

i thought i was the only person who knew that!
    my mates usually get violent when i tell them that drinking on 17th march is in honour of an english man! (cos they dont believe me!)

deswalsh wrote:
    Otherwise, you'll be dismissed as someone with too little to worry them.

I'm not sure whatyou are looking for on 'after hours'. I'm sure there's a very interesting debate on the ramifications of the Chinese stock market slide somewhere. Were you looking for real gravitas, and wandered in here by accident?

There is no St Paddy. That's it. The English don't call their holiday 'The Big G' day, the Scots don't have a day off for 'St Andy', the Welsh don't go drinking for 'Mr. D', so why do we go for the jokey and matey effect with our patron saint? Oh I know, because its a pissup, and we're all on best friend terms with the man who got us the day off...

There is no St Paddy. That's it. The English don't call their holiday 'The Big G' day, the Scots don't have a day off for 'St Andy', the Welsh don't go drinking for 'Mr. D', so why do we go for the jokey and matey effect with our patron saint? Oh I know, because its a pissup, and we're all on best friend terms with the man who got us the day off...

I'm actually rolling with the opinion that you

a) Have too little to worry about
    b) Are some kind of dream i'm having
    c) Are too sad and strange to live
    d) Combo of the above.

It's a day, people can call it what they want. I will call it "Giant Cocks and Cornflakes Day".

I can see it now :

Friend : "Hey D, you coming down the pub for Paddy's Day?"
    Me : "Can't, I'll be doing the door. And it's "Giant Cocks and Cornflakes Day."
    Friend : "It is, what the **** is that about?"
    Me : "Not sure. Doing it to **** with some random guy."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Can I call it Saturday?

Dragan wrote:
    I'm actually rolling with the opinion that you

a) Have too little to worry about
    b) Are some kind of dream i'm having
    c) Are too sad and strange to live
    d) Combo of the above.

Check the forum rules, there is something there about not getting personal. Forget your opinion of me, in fact maybe you ought not form opinions about people online, you'll find that the real world might be different. Give us an opinion about the post.
    Dragan wrote:
    It's a day, people can call it what they want. I will call it "Giant Cocks and Cornflakes Day".

If you want it to be a day for giant cocks, that is entirely your prerogative. You can celebrate giant cocks all day. Maybe go on some parade, express your pride for giant cocks. Best of luck with it. But most people here tend to associate the day with the patron saint of Ireland...

toiletduck wrote:
    Can I call it Saturday?

:D

Ohhhh alright then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

toiletduck wrote:
    Can I call it Saturday?

Or saturday week

If you want it to be a day for giant cocks, that is entirely your prerogative. You can celebrate giant cocks all day. Maybe go on some parade, express your pride for giant cocks. Best of luck with it. But most people here tend to associate the day with the patron saint of Ireland...

You forgot about the Corn Flakes. ;)

Dragan wrote:
    You forgot about the Corn Flakes. ;)

I'm a weetabix man myself...:p

• Advertisement

I'm a weetabix man myself...:p

In effort to go even further off topic, have you had Oats-a-bix.

I was upset about it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just call it Paddy's day. All that patron saint gubbins is lost on a heathen like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Kojak wrote:
    How about we call it Shamrock Day?? :D

Its about the only day of the year that stuff is mentioned

How about "Been it the pub since 11 day drunk and depressed looking by 5"

At least thats what made me give up on a quiet 5pm pint last paddys day(people close to falling asleep on the bar mostly).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I would argue that this soft English sheep worrier's snake hoarding ways no longer make him a viable patron Saint.
    I heard he was also in an erotic play entitled "Niall and the nine sausages."

Actually if some soft ponse with a big stick and a welsh twang came near me with a shamrock talking about Jesus I would either hit him or run.

I certainly wouldnt give the country a day off because he decided to show up here, taking our religions. You know, unless it was so we could all hide till he ****ed off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

But most people here tend to associate the day with the patron saint of Ireland...

I don't. When I think of St. Patricks day I see it as Paddy's day, A day off work fueled by Alcohol, a day of fun. Religion and patron saints don't even come into it, they would be the last thing on my mind.

Not trying to jump down your throat here man, but the vast majority of people think the same as I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As layke says, Paddy's day is nothing to do with religion any more because most of the Irish population are now too educated to be bothered with the Catholic church. Personally, I think of the day as Paddy's day, a tongue-firmly-in-cheek celebration of our nationality so I'd see the 'Paddy' of the day's title as being the generic term used to describe Irishmen abroad rather than some Welsh guy who was a bit soft in the head.

faceman wrote:
    i thought i was the only person who knew that!
    my mates usually get violent when i tell them that drinking on 17th march is in honour of an english man! (cos they dont believe me!)

Wasn't he Welsh? Maybe that's why they're getting violent. :p

Your place of birth is something you can't change; he was living here of his own accord, ergo, he became Irish.

Edited to add: Ok, he was English by birth, born near present-day Carlisle. He's still naturalised Irish, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm not sure whatyou are looking for on 'after hours'. I'm sure there's a very interesting debate on the ramifications of the Chinese stock market slide somewhere. Were you looking for real gravitas, and wandered in here by accident?

Takes tongue from cheek...........

Duh!
    sorry, forgot to change my font to Sarcastic sans serif there for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Don Diego

Patrick isnt even a saint. He was never canonised. So "paddys day" would be the more correct term any way.

Don Diego wrote:
    Patrick isnt even a saint. He was never canonised. So "paddys day" would be the more correct term any way.

How would he go from Patrick to paddys? There's no way paddys would be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was a question on a travel forum from someone wanting to know about St.Wren's Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Paddys day :D is a time for me to have fun, to catch up with other Irish that don't live in my city, plus I get to show people a bit of Irish culture (or at least for the last two years I did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Saturday sounds good

Advertisement