Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Indoors - Prediction Time!!!

Options
  • 28-02-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi all,

Well, time to talk about the upcoming Indoor championships and the medal prospects in store for the Irish Team.

I'll start the bidding at 2 medals. Cragg in the 3k, Silver to Mo Farrah, and Gillick in the 400... any colour will do.

Outside chance of medal from Chamney and Cullen

Nolan, Hession, Ryan and Real to make the finals. McCarthy... wait, he cant be going, he hasn't run the qualifying time!!

I hope I am on the good side of wrong.

Domer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll see your 2 and raise you one. I'll go for one complete set: Gold for Gillick, Silver for Cragg and bronze for one of our 1500m boys (Nolan most likely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Medal for Cragg. Hession to make the final. Would love to see Gillick repeat his last European performance but don't think he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

No medal for Cragg it would seem with a 6th place finish-pity.

On a brighter note-two new Irish records in the 60m heats.
    Hession: 6.61
    Boyle: 7.30
    Hession in the 60m final tomorrow.

Gillick yet to run..fingers crossed!
    :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

great run by gillick, he looked strong and wasn't going to let the swede get ahead of him when they broke out of their lanes..

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Great run for Gillick - very professional and gutsy. Congratulations! Nolan, Hession and Cullen left for tomorrow. Can see each of them give creditable performances but I can't honestly see a medal, although either Nolan or Hession could sneak one. But a great day for Irish sprinting - 3 national records on the same day. When someone runs a lifetime best and faster than anyone else from their country has ever done, you can't ask much more from athletes - so, as well as Gillick, well done to Hession and Boyle on their records.

• Advertisement

You have to hand it to Gillick: the guy is irrepressible! You just can't beat him. The German (Movie star :rolleyes: ) ran the perfect race, but Gillick produced the perfect counter. He was thinking two moves ahead. Fantastic!

A bit disappointed with Cragg. He never attempted to take the race by the scruff, like he did two years ago.

Chammers ran the perfect race, but just blew up in the last 50m. Unfortunate, and maybe the travel affected him. Another PB for Dave Mac. You can't ask for more, especially so soon in his 800m career.

Well done to Nolan. A good shot tomorrow. Great to see sprint records falling like ninepins. It isn't so long since we were the laughing stock of the sprint world. Maybe Hession can split up the Brits and squeeze an unexpected medal?

The fastest 400m, indoors or out...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well done to David Gillick. His reaction and the catch of the flag after was great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Ahhh great race!! Was on the edge of my seat all the way through it!
    Well done David!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Indeed, great race by Gillick, and great racing too by the sprinters. Gillick showed that it takes determination and guts to win.

Cragg didn't look like he got into the race at all. Seemed his heart wasn't in it, which I know isn't the case, but it did look that way.

Cullen ran well. She couldn't live with the speed of those girls over the last 600m no matter what. Maybe tactically she should have taken it out with Pavey and tried to burn them off. Still, a good run.

Chamney did run well, just got taken with 50 to go. Its a real shame cause he could have medaled. The guy in 3rd ran 1:49... and set a PB. I think it was Cram who saying the standard this year was quite low.

Nolan put himself in position to get a medal, but it would be hard to break the spanish trio, but not a bad run.

Bring on the outdoors!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Great run by Gillick. Was looking at the indoor lists for the past few years and its the fastest by a non-american in 4 years. An outdoor sub-45 could be on the cards now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Fantastic performance by Gillick, I am delighted my pre championship prediction was wrong.

Hession was brilliant too, his start in his heat was incredible, he didn't have such a great start in the final, but 6.61!!!! and he's a 200m runner!!!

I heard it mentioned that because of Gillick's time he has now met the qualifying time for the Olympics. Is this correct? I thought the qualifying time had to be met outdoors. I hope it is true and great to have that pressure off his back.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=27001-qqqx=1.asp

Good interview, especially ...

“I have learned so much from Derval (O’Rourke). She won’t take any **** from anyone and that’s what you have to do in this sport. It is an individual sport. If you want to get to the top it all relies on you. It is all down to you.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I heard it mentioned that because of Gillick's time he has now met the qualifying time for the Olympics. Is this correct? I thought the qualifying time had to be met outdoors. I hope it is true and great to have that pressure off his back.

The Sunday Times yesterday reported that he had in fact met the qualifying time for the Beijing Olympics.

Gillick now 5th on the All-time Euro Indoors list and 24th alltime indoors in the world behind the likes of Johnson, Everitt, Reynolds, Harrisons, Wariner. Most of those ahead of him are legends in the event (except Jamie Baulch - he is just a pain in the hole). Only 0.38 off the great MJ's best on the Birmingham track!!

44.57 Kerron*Clement USA
    44.63 Michael*Johnson USA
    44.93 LaShawn*Merritt USA
    45.02 Danny*Everett USA
    45.05 Thomas*Schönlebe GDR EUR
    45.05 Alvin*Harrison USA
    45.18 Calvin*Harrison USA
    45.26 Harry*Reynolds USA
    45.28 Xavier*Carter USA
    45.29 Terry*Gatson USA
    45.34 Tyree*Washington USA
    45.35 Alleyne*Francique GRN
    45.37 Pete*Coley JAM
    45.39 Jamie*Baulch GBR EUR
    45.39 Marek*Plawgo POL EUR
    45.39 Jeremy*Wariner USA
    45.41 Kelly*Willie USA
    45.43 Daniel*Caines GBR EUR
    45.44 Mark*Everett USA
    45.46 Andrew*Pierce USA
    45.50 Angelo*Taylor USA
    45.51 Sunday*Bada NGR
    45.52 Jerry*Harris USA
    45.52 David*Gillick IRL EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Linford wrote:
    Thought it was strange myself. I know that for HJ, LJ and TJ indoors counts for qualification purposes bt didn't think any race woould. Absolutely stunning that he ran so quick indoors. Sub 45 outdoors is the next barrier

From the Rules and conditions:

# Indoor performances for all field events and for races of 400m and longer, will be accepted.

See here. Scroll down to the bottom for Rules and Conditions. It's the same for Beijing. He's got both in the bag!

I also see that, according to the IAAF scoring tables, Gillick had the top male performance of the weekend. Report

Advertisement