Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core Components

Options
  • 28-02-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

Just a quick question, is it worth getting a quad core X6700 or getting a dual core 6600, will i be saving much money or will i end up upgrading it in a years time anyway?

Also can any one reccomend me a good mainboard for a Quad / Dual Core CPU?

Im also wondering if there is a huge difference with the 8800 GTS (640Mb) & the 8800 GTX (768Mb).

I want to get the best build i can, so i dont have to upgrade for a while, but i dont want to be throwing money away on crap that wont make much of a difference.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Quad Core wont make that much of a difference in games you would be better off getting the fastest dual core part instead either the E6700 or X6800.

Many of the revised boards available support the Quad CPU through a bios update like this MSI board will do the job, but some first gen versions of the P965 chipset do not, but all P965 boards support the dual core Core2 Duo.

Yes there is a large difference between the 8800GTS and 8800GTX go with GTX if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

you can get a qx6600 quad core long term it would be worth paying extra .
    I doubt if anybody can tell the difference between a 8800gts or 8800gtx i saw both cards running side by side in a shop in London and my 7900gtx was just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Up to about 1280x1024 the GTS and GTX are the same with 4xAA & 16xAF after that the GTX begins to pull away and the gap only widens the higher you go in resolution or pile on further IQ like 16xCSAA.

Quad core is very nice to have but bar the occasional show piece title over the next two years I cant see it being terribly useful unless you have specific workloads in mind that are already multi-threaded and benefit e.g video encoding.

Games that even make use of dual core CPU's are still thin on the ground & PC game developers target the largest user base (single/dual core) & rarely the latest tech unless a company is sponsoring them. For example valve showed off their multi-threaded physics system last year but it wont be making an appearance until after Half Life 2 Episode 2 & that's not even out yet so imagine the time difference from then until Episode 3 where it will show. Two other technology show piece titles are Alan Wake which at most only benefited from 3 threads after that it was diminishing returns in the IDF demo and Crysis which no-one has seen how it benefits from multi-threading.

Advertisement