Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car question

Options
  • 28-02-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying a new car this week (private) sale. As regards insurance do i have to wait until change of ownership form has been received by the motor tax office before i can change over insurance from my old car?. Or can i do it the moment i buy the car?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Change it over the second you buy the car!! Don't drive it until this is done because if you have an accident you might not be covered. It only takes a couple of minutes to do over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i have third party insurance on other cars with my current car insurance (even though it's been sold)....i kept the insurance open on the old car so would this be enough until i get a change the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jobless wrote:
    i have third party insurance on other cars with my current car insurance (even though it's been sold)....i kept the insurance open on the old car so would this be enough until i get a change the insurance
    Third party insurance on other cars only covers cars that are not owned by you (or leased to you). Do you have any reason for not wanting to change the insurance onto the new car as soon as you get it? I ask because it seems to me to be the obvious thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

sorry.... its just ill be collecting it in the evening...the insurance company will be closed....
    i assume the third party part of my insurance policy should cover me on this car then?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jobless wrote:
    i assume the third party part of my insurance policy should cover me on this car then?

No it won't cover you
    jobless wrote:
    ill be collecting it in the evening...the insurance company will be closed....

That's not a problem. Ring your insurance company during business hours before you pick up the car and tell them to change insurance to the new car at any time day or night you specify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

You can also do it online (depending on the company)! Better safe than sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tonic07

Am I right in saying that driving of other cars in your policy only applies if the car is insured by someone.
    So if the person you are buying from does not have the car insured, you will not be insured to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Tonic07 wrote:
    Am I right in saying that driving of other cars in your policy only applies if the car is insured by someone.
    So if the person you are buying from does not have the car insured, you will not be insured to drive it.

Thats the way my policy is anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm covered whether the car is insured or not, so long as it's not owned by me or hired to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think you have only 3rd party on the other cars you drive.

Just find out the car reg and ring your insurance company and say i am changing my car to 07 D 12345 and 9pm on Friday evening and they will do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Amazingly this the the offical Thread of the Day!

Mike.

Advertisement