Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taylor the Outsider for first time in 17 Years

• 28-02-2007 6:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

TAYLOR OUTSIDER IN BARNEY CLASH

For the first time in seventeen years, Phil Taylor is the outsider to win a match and Sky Bet make him 11/8 to beat Dutch master and PDC world champion Raymond Van Barneveld (even money) when they meet on Thursday in Sheffield in the Holsten Premier League darts tournament.

Barney is 4/9 to score most 180s and 8/15 to score over 3.5, having thrown eight last week against Jenkins. Taylor is 3/1 to score most 180s and 5/6 to score over 2.5, having only produced three maximums in his 8-2 win over Peter Manley.

Sky Bet quote 4/6 for Van Barneveld to get the highest average and it's 8/13 for him to average over a hundred, while Taylor is quoted at 8/11 to do the same.

13-time world champion Taylor has won this event in both 2005 and 2006 and has remained unbeaten throughout. Both Taylor and Van Barneveld remain unbeaten this year and both have 6 points currently. Van Barneveld came back from three sets down to beat Taylor 7-6 in the enthralling PDC world final in January. He has gone on to beat Taylor 3-0 at the Masters of Darts in the Netherlands earlier this month.

Sky Bet's darts compiler, Craig Ibbotson, said, "The last time Taylor was an outsider was when he beat Eric Bristow as a qualifier in the Embassy World Championship on January 13th 1990, to claim his first world title. However, the tide is turning now and where punters used on rely on Taylor to win at all costs, they now see Van Barneveld as the new force in darts."

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/07/02/28/manual_134254.html

I find it hard to believe that Priestley was not the favourite to beat in any of the matches they played in the early 90's. If this article is correct it shows just how much of an impact that Barney has made. For me he is the best player in the World at the moment.

The build up to Thursday continues :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

have to say i am really looking forward to this match. its been a cracking competition so far and thursdays match is worthy of being a final.

prediction is priestley will make the final with his current form.
    (but must admit i dont really like his extraordinary slow playing style, but sure if it wins him the matches, i cant argue!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

Yeah i dont really like it either and I would say that it is difficult to play against. i cant wait till tomorrow night:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

I cant wait either and im going to be there, ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

rag2gar wrote:
    I cant wait either and im going to be there, ha!
    Hear they are expecting a crowd of 5,000:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Carrickman wrote:
    Hear they are expecting a crowd of 5,000:eek:

Crazy stuff isnt it. Just shows you how popular darts has become again. Hate to be at the back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

notice when robbie savage came on-screen and the fans when ape-poopy at him?!!

each of those games last night were just class.. happy to see roland scholten off the mark.

final four predictions anyone? taylor, barney, priestley, jenkins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

Taylor, Barney, Priestley, Lloyd is my prediction.:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

iremex wrote:
    final four predictions anyone? taylor, barney, priestley, jenkins!

At the start of the tournament I would have Lewis to come in fourth but he has shown that he still doesnt have what it takes to get over the finishing line and tends to bottle it. Jenkins has been playing some good darts lately and I think its hard to argue with him finishing the fourth spot. I think Priestley, Barney and Taylor are almost certain to go through at this stage.

Advertisement