Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from neighbouring house

Options
  • 28-02-2007 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering where can I get some info about the times, etc that parties need to be cooled off and brought indoors before they start becoming a nuisance?

Last Sep, we got new neighbours at the back renting. They are fond of their bongo drums and back garden parties and had one every night at the weekend until the weather got too cold for them to continue outdoors.

I left it alone at the time since it was coming into winter, but now its starting to get back into spring/summer, they'll be back out every Fri/Sat night playing loud music until the small hours.

I know the house is being rented for a few years but cant find the registration on the PRTB site. I'd like to have my rights before I start shouting my mouth off if it gets to be a nuisance.

I've already asked one of the neighbours that knows the owners for their number, but they said they didn't have it, which I know is not true. It will affect them too so I cannot see why they wont make an effort.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

They're probably a bit timid and dont want to 'make a scene', but wait till they've had a summer of boozing and bongo drums, they might have a change of mind!

I'd ring your local citizens advice bureau if I were you, they're sure to be able to put you straight here. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Once quality of life is affected then anything after 11pm is not on..?

Another thing, by the way; once the cut off point is reached (not sure what exact time it is - the earlier the better!) but once it's reached its unlawful for people to make an awful racket either inside or outside of thier homes, so if these people continue to disturb you from inside their home, you can still call the guards over noise pollution. As I said, your local citizens advice bereau will be able to tell you what time the neighbours are supposed to shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I can handle 11pm, but any later will be a nuisance. They might as well be in my back garden having their parties the size of back gardens in modern estates these days.
    Problem is our bedroom and the kids bedroom is at the back so we can hear it full on. Even during the winter when they are inside, they tend to keep the back patio door open as they are in & out smoking.

I'll give CAB a call in the next few days and see where we stand.

I didn't think the guards would pay too much attention seahorse?

They have to pay attention in the sense that these people are actually breaking laws, however trivial they may seem in comparison to the other breaches of law they'd be dealing with every day. They do actually have to respond to a call when a law is reported to have been broken, even if it takes them two hours to get there (which it probably will!)

If it does deteriorate into the sort of situation where the neighbours are just not listening to you, I'd advise you to call the guards EVERY time they got out of hand after 11pm or whatever time it is, and make sure to keep a log of your contact with the Gardai. That way if you end up in a truly dreadful situation with the neighbours harassing you, you'll be able to produce this log of their behaviour for their landlord and push to have them evicted. A landlord is much more inclined to do so if he/she feels the Guards have had to become involved.

Another good reason to call the guards each and every time you have to put up with a racket is that they themselves (the guards) will get pissed off at being called repeatedly to the one address and end up telling these people that they've had enough themselves - I've seen that happen before!

Hopefully it wont get that far though, a lot of people carry on like this without actually realising they're disturbing young kids and have enough decency to shut up when that's pointed out to them. Hopefully your neighbours will be that sort. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

seahorse wrote:

Hopefully it wont get that far though, a lot of people carry on like this without actually realising they're disturbing young kids and have enough decency to shut up when that's pointed out to them. Hopefully your neighbours will be that sort. Good luck with it.
    dont think kids will bother them as I've seen kids running around in the house at 11 & 12 at night. Its the feckin drums & singing outside that gets me. My wife can sleep through a thunder storm but I'll wake if a spider walked across the road.
    She has said that if she can get her hands on the owners number, she'll be ringing them every time to wake them up if we get woken up.

Roll on for a pieceful summer, I wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

The guards will not entertain you (absolutely no pun intended!) unless there is a criminal act involved.
    This is a civil matter and will have to be dealt with through the courts if it comes to that.
    Talk to the Noise pollution officer first for your area and see if they can't help you to find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

No, I called the gaurds and they came out, twice. They done their bit bangin on the door etc, only cooled them off for a while. And that was before the gaurds could really get involved.

The best thing is to burn them out.

Ah just joking!:D
    But I do think it's now (as in the other day) covered under an ASBO, so the gaurds do have to respond to an illegal matter.
    Also as a civil matter, this is covered under noise pollution and the council can take them to court for you. You do not need to be in attendance. See DLRCC website (as an example). At least they used to have something about this. Contact them and start the ball rolling, you will be glad the next time at 2 o'clock in the morning when you are getting up at 6 or 7!!!!!
    wwwDOTdlrcocoDOTie
    email evironATdlrcocDOTie

Advertisement