Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email not sending

• 28-02-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have two free email accounts with Iolfree. I can check and receive emails to both accounts and can send and receive test emails to myself - all combinations.

However, when I try to send email using either one to an external party, I am given the message like "Relay not allowed", code no: 0x800CCC79.

I have done all the steps listed on Microsoft website to no avail.

Anyone with any useful tips and advice???

Regards,
    HPMan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Who is your internet provider? The outgoing server (SMTP) should be set to that of your provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭HPMan

My ISP is Iolfree

The outgoing mail server must be correctly set up since I can send email to myself - ie from and to email a/c no 1 and to and from email a/c no 2.

The problem is I am unable to send email to other people; yet I can check and receive those sent to me.

I am completely at a loss.

HPMan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the relaying sounds like you aren't allowed to send email to other ISP's

is iol eircom ?
    and haven't eircom stopped people from other isp's sending email recently - who do you connect to the internet with as you may need to use their server for outbound stuff or mail.yahoo.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IOL was Ireland Online, who became EsatBT.

Iolfree is BT (Ireland).

I connect via a community wireless network.

Regards,

HPMan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ta. oh yeah it was indigo / tinet that went eircom :o

try http://whatismyip.org or http://whatismyip.ie to see where you pop up on the interweb and then look the ip address to see which ISP you are with

were you on dialup or EsatBT recently ?

I have dialup connections still incase the wireless network goes down. Could these dialup settings affect it?

HPMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

i had this problem the other night while still using my eircom account on my bt connection. Basically changed my outgoing smtp server to the iol one and its all fine. Had it in work also. If your using say a bt email account and your provider is eircom it wont allow it to be sent and vice versa. You can try changing the outgoing address to match your email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

HPMan wrote:
    I connect via a community wireless network.
    There's the start of the issue.

The network to which you are connected, are connected to the Internet by an ISP. This ISP is probably *not*BT.

An SMTP server is a mail relay server. You connect to it, tell it who you want to send email to, then disconnect. That server then "relays" your mail to the relevant mail server of the person you are sending mail to.

The opposite of this is the POP server. This is the server that you get your mail from.

To compare it to normal post, an SMTP server is a postbox - anyone can insert their mail, and it gets where it's going. A POP server is your personal mailbox, or letterbox in your door.

Back in the good old days, any SMTP server would accept mail from and for anyone. So you could connect to eircom's SMTP server from anywhere in the world, tell it that you are joe.bloggs@microsoft.com, and that you want to send a mail to jane.doe@google.com. It would happily accept it and send it.

Of course, the problem here is obvious. This is how spam got its initial foothold.

So what most ISPs do now is restrict how their SMTP servers are used. Anyone is allowed to connect to their servers, but under one of two conditions:

1. If the person connects from within the ISP's network, the SMTP server will allow free relay. That is, you can send from any address, to any address.

2. If the person connects from outside the ISP's network, the SMTP server will only allow you to send emails to people within that ISP's network.

So what is happening in this case is that you are connecting to IOL's SMTP server from outside of BT's network. You attempt to send mails to other people, and it fails. You attempt to send mails to @iolfree.ie addresses and it succeeds.

You can connect to the POP server and retrieve your mail because that's allowed.

You need to find out who supplies the line to your community wireless network, and then use their SMTP server instead of IOL's.

Advertisement