Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hezbollah say to Ireland "you're our friend or our enemy"

Options
  • 28-02-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening to RTE radio, a report which follows on from this. It seems the defacto 'real' Lebonese government has decided that Ireland is a running dog of the infidel Amercian Satan and has suggested that peacekeepers are targets and that the best way to avoid being killed is to join Hezbollah attacking Israel.

Priceless.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

mike65 wrote:
    Just listening to RTE radio, a report which follows on from this. It seems the defacto 'real' Lebonese government has decided that Ireland is a running dog of the infidel Amercian Satan and has suggested that peacekeepers are targets and that the best way to avoid being killed is to join Hezbollah attacking Israel.

Priceless.

Mike.
    Our peacekeepers have always been targets. One of the reasons they were viewed as being neutral was because everyone, from Israel to Hezbollah and the various other groups in between, all hated Irish peacekeepers equally. They're spewing crap, and we in Ireland just love it when we're implicated in some major foreign hu-hah. "Ohh, Hezbollah know who we are!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mike65 wrote:
    It seems the defacto 'real' Lebonese government has decided that Ireland is a running dog of the infidel Amercian Satan

Well, that piece is hardly news or hard to disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

well the way ireland has been percieved, we are going to be a target for extremeists, that is a given...... shannon has been highlighted at world level as being a stop off for US troops and weapons etc... it is going to come back and bite us in the ass !!!!! only a matter of time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

scuby wrote:
    well the way ireland has been percieved, we are going to be a target for extremeists, that is a given...... shannon has been highlighted at world level as being a stop off for US troops and weapons etc... it is going to come back and bite us in the ass !!!!! only a matter of time :(
    So what? The aim of terrorism is to terrorise us into bending to somebody elses will. Are you saying that the threat of an attack should make us change our ways? First Shannon, then what else? Stop all travel between the US and Ireland? Kick out the Americans? Adopt Islamic law?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Judt wrote:
    So what? The aim of terrorism is to terrorise us into bending to somebody elses will. Are you saying that the threat of an attack should make us change our ways? First Shannon, then what else? Stop all travel between the US and Ireland? Kick out the Americans? Adopt Islamic law?

Um, you can't Irish equate participation in a bloody unending Orwelian war on the middle east, with people going to America on holidays.

What kind of a world do you think we live in, do you think it is just and fair, that we can take part in an aggressive invasion and occupation of at least 2 countries, and still have the moral high ground where we can call foul if we are attacked as part of this war?

We sold our neutrality to the U.S. for the princely sum of a ticket to the white house on st Patricks day for our fearless leader. We are involved in this war, we are a legitimate target. Shannon is a much more legitimate target than many of the bomb craters in the middle east used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Judt wrote:

Lets not twist. Ireland IS bending to someone elses will, Americas.
    It's hardly stopping all travel between the US and Ireland. The situation is as it always was, US troops are being flown through Ireland, to the onslaught in Iraq. This isnt ''Americans'' we are talking about, its the US military.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If there is a terrorist attack, the only people to blame are those on the left, who have continually highlighted the use of Shannon, have publicised the fact that American planes are landing here, and have advertised Ireland as a legitimate target for the last four years. We are a small country, and the only reason that they are paying any attention to us, is because the left have been waving this in their face for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

If there is a terrorist attack, the only people to blame are those on the left, who have continually highlighted the use of Shannon
    Yeah, just like the London anti-war protests are to blame for the terrorist attacks on London. What are you talking about? If Ireland gets bombed it's the terrorists' fault.

Anyway, I find these suggestions hard to believe. The militants have much more high-profile targets than what they see as a small, regional outpost in what might as well, to them, be Lithuania. If they actually wanted to hit the armies involved, they'd attack a military base in the UK or the US. I don't see why they'd go to the west of Ireland.

That said, I'm opposed to the US use of Shannon, but it's out of principle more than anything else.

If there is a terrorist attack, the only people to blame are those on the left, who have continually highlighted the use of Shannon, have publicised the fact that American planes are landing here, and have advertised Ireland as a legitimate target for the last four years. We are a small country, and the only reason that they are paying any attention to us, is because the left have been waving this in their face for so long.

Bull excretement, I can think of a better word however.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Poblachtach you had better improve the quality of your replies on here!!!

The Minister I doubt very much there will be a terrorist attack here, it wouldn't be high priority enough. There are plenty of countries who have troops on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan who will be higher up the hitlist.

With regard to Hezbollah all that has to be done is to point out to them that Irish troops have paid the ultimate price in peacekeeping duties for the people of the Lebanon mainly at the hands of the Israelis (mainly by their proxies the SLA).

• Advertisement

Your reply is simply a dig at left wing parties. The reason for a possible (and maybe probable) attack on Ireland is due to Shannon being used a lilly pad for the US war of terror. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gandalf wrote:
    The Minister I doubt very much there will be a terrorist attack here, it wouldn't be high priority enough.
    I'm aware of that, that's why I'm saying that if they bother to hit Ireland, it'll be because they have been repeatedly goaded by indymedia-types for so long. As you say, there is no real reason for them to hit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the simple answer is the Indymedia types are not the ones forcing the US troops through Shannon Airport, thats the Irish Government. Couple that with the fact that the EU has found that Shannon was used for rendition flights then if we are attacked the Irish Government by their inability to defend our neutrality or to search planes would be the ones that painted the big target on our asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I'm aware of that, that's why I'm saying that if they bother to hit Ireland, it'll be because they have been repeatedly goaded by indymedia-types for so long. As you say, there is no real reason for them to hit us.

Gosh thats logic of "Well if she didn't talk so much I wouldn't have to hit her". "Indymedia" types arent bringing the planes and the troops through, and have a moral objection to it being done so. Saying that the best course of action is "sssshhhhh don't tell Al Qaeda, we're going to go for the Hiberia ruse, it worked well when the Romans were around", is moral cowardice. If you agree with troops flights don't demand that other people keep stum about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Why are people of the opinion that we’ve suddenly chosen to act differently from the past? Ireland is not and never has been neutral. We were happy to play both sides in World War II, we were happy to play both sides during the Cold War and call it neutrality and we’re now happy to play both sides in the Islam versus the West game and call it neutrality.

What we’re doing now is consistent with a policy of non-belligerent, non-commitment that has been in place since the formation of the State. Refuse to declare for either side openly, but keep both sweet at the same time by offering assistance or sympathy.

The only difference is that no one is swallowing the neutrality line now.

The current government are a threat to our own country. You can't be neutral and not be neutral.

You can't be neutral and not be neutral.
    Thank you for that blinding insight Messr. de la Palice.

Islam versus the West.
    Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Thank you for that blinding insight Messr. de la Palice.

The current government are a threat to our own country. You can't be neutral and not be neutral.

So you reckon that Sinn Fein would do a better job?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

So you reckon that Sinn Fein would do a better job?

Fight fire with fire. I'm sure SF have a few terrorism experts on staff.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote:
    Fight fire with fire. I'm sure SF have a few terrorism experts on staff.

Sure?

Yes Dazzeler (or whatever) they would indeed do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

mike65 wrote:
    It seems the defacto 'real' Lebonese government has decided that Ireland is a running dog of the infidel Amercian Satan

Well we did build the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Ireland stands as a neutral country and is respected as such, our country provides troops to the peacekeeping core. And these troops are part of the rapid response units in various UN protected countries.

In fact according to a commisioned photographer 'Simon Norfolk' who is assigned to the core who's lecture I attended last year. 'the Irish contingent' are viewed as a rapid response unit who are fierce and determined and in fact feared and respected for their vehemence in combat.

The whole world including the so called 'Hezballah' respect the Irish view, I suspect the Irish History plays a part.

The whole shannon thing is incidental the yanks have been using shannon as a stop of since the cold war. It makes no odds to anyone at this stage.

The fact that it is being used to transport political prisoners is an issue beyond the use itself, like I said it is incidental. this does not qualify shannon or indeed the Irish as a target for terrorism especially since idealistically Ireland has a history of opression and terrorism which the hezbollah identify with idealistically.
    These guys (Hezbullah) are first and foremost political terrorists and are interested in manipulating political change to the extreme. Lets look at the facts and the results.
    1. Bomb the world trade center. lets get the Americans to depose the leader of our country ie: Saddam, now lets sit back and take over when the time is right (this is yet to come).

2.Spain are really vulnerable politically lets bomb them to change their government the one in place supports the Iraq war and the opposition is against it. result success. Spain pulls out of Iraq war and a new government is in place.

If Hezbullah really had an interest in Ireland which is laughable then it would have happened by now. I think that they have achieved the aims they wanted so far with the help of the US and Britain.
    Oh and an afterthought... Sinn Fein I really do not know what they are about since they stopped bombing civilians indescrimately for attention. Now that they have the attention I'm not sure that they know what to do with it.

Ireland stands as a neutral country and is respected as such... 'the Irish contingent' are viewed as a rapid response unit who are fierce and determined and in fact feared and respected for their vehemence in combat.

The whole world including the so called 'Hezballah' respect the Irish view

I'm not really sure about that bit.
    http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20060717-084229-3601r.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All of this discussion is all nice and subjective, but if it was possible to take an objective stance on the issue, the, by the standards used by the U.S. or israeli army to choose what targets they themselves deem to be legitimate, then Shannon would easily qualify as a legal legitimate and strikeble target.

The only reason it won't be attacked is because it is not a high priority target, and despite all the 'end of the world rhetoric', International terrorism is a very weak military threat.

Ireland stands as a neutral country and is respected as such, our country provides troops to the peacekeeping core
    However if such threats as the subject of this thread are true then it would appear evident that Ireland is not respected as neutral.

Indeed, I don't think the Irish government can even legally use the term anymore in relation to Shannon after the Horgan case, which ruled that Ireland was in clear breach of the 1907 Hague Convention on neutrality.

Of course that's not to say Ireland was all that neutral before - just better at playing both sides off each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I should say that the Hezza threat was'nt to bomb Dublin or something, 'only' attack Irish troops which is quite bad enough.
    These guys (Hezbullah) are first and foremost political terrorists and are interested in manipulating political change to the extreme. Lets look at the facts and the results.
    1. Bomb the world trade center. lets get the Americans to depose the leader of our country ie: Saddam, now lets sit back and take over when the time is right (this is yet to come).

Deliverance, I don't recall Hezbollah being the architects of Sept 11.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

somtimes i'm rather against the idea of freedom of speech.

do i really need to point out how stupid that is?

Other than the fact that Hezbullah had nothing to do with 9/11, you're now saying that their "country" was Iraq?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Iran. Iraq. The only difference is the spelling. Better warn the IRA.

Advertisement