Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win 2000 & XP won't install on my SATA hard drive?

• 28-02-2007 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all...

Can anyone explain why my XP Professional Service Pack 2 and Windows 2000 Professional won't install only my SATA hard drive, it's a DELL Dimension 9150 ... I've checked the hard drive and it works perfectly, but during installation after a minute or two a screen asks me something along the lines "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer..." as I've said before the drive works perfectly with the OS running perfectly, I've read somewhere that there is a problem with SATA drives installing Windows and to get around this problem one needs to install a hard disk driver from the XP installation CD and put on a floppy disk and run it during the setup, does anyone know where on the XP CD this driver is and how does one install it during the installation process to install the OS? I would appreciate any advice!

Mondo :-D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You're right -- you'll need to load a driver for your SATA drive when booting the Windows installer.

Try visiting your the website of your HDD manufacturer and have a look for a suitable driver. This is usually copied to a floppy.

Boot from the Windows CD and, at a certain stage, you'll see a little message saying to press such a key to load a driver for a SATA drive.

20051118-02.jpg

Some people have followed online guides to integrate the SATA driver onto a new Windows CD to avoid having to use a floppy [especially if you don't have a floppy drive].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ethernet wrote:
    Some people have followed online guides to integrate the SATA driver onto a new Windows CD to avoid having to use a floppy [especially if you don't have a floppy drive].
    There's barely even need for a guide if you use nlite to integrate the drivers, bloody handy little program!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Is the hard drive formatted into NTFS or Fat 32?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DarkJager wrote:
    Is the hard drive formatted into NTFS or Fat 32?
    Shouldn't really make a difference, as the OS will format the drive anyway if you ask it.

Newer copies of XP SP2 and Server 2003 come with SATA support included in the release, so if you can get your hands on one of those disks, it can relieve the burden.

That said, there's nothing like nlite to take the pain out of Windows installs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Autostreamer can integrate sp2 + original xp disc into 1 bootable cd., have used it many times, windows updates will do its job once you have installed os.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 RayMondo

Thanks ethernet for all your help, and to others who have so far contributed to the discussion, in actual fact I found it very hard to find a device driver on the HDD manufacturer's website, but I came across something that somebody else had come across that solved the problem without the need for device drivers, here's the remedy for the problem:

Users who do not have a RAID disk system may see an error message during installation indicating that there are no hard drives present in the system. If this occurs a change in the BIOS is required. Restart the system and press F2 to enter the system bios. In the main BIOS screen scroll down to drives and press <Enter> or + to expand the drive menu then scroll down to "SATA Operation" and press <Enter>. Change the SATA operation mode to "RAID Auto/ATA" press ESC to save and exit the bios. After making this change, Windows XP should install without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RayMondo wrote:
    in actual fact I found it very hard to find a device driver on the HDD manufacturer's website
    Just for future reference, you don't really need a driver for the hard drive. That's probably why you found it so hard to get a driver.

The OS talks to the hard disk controller on the motherboard, not directly to the disk itself (for all intents and purposes). To install a SATA drive in Windows, you need to get the drivers for the motherboard, not the actual hard drive.

Advertisement