Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly barking dog - need advice

Options
  • 28-02-2007 8:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I know dog lovers won't like what i have to say and tell me to get a life and what not, but i have a problem with a dog owned by someone living close to me.

I've been living here for just over three years and in that time this ONE particular dog has barked non stop, and i mean constantly...round the clock, day and night.

He never stops, and he's a known biter as well, he's normall tied up due to his biting tendencies. My neighbour had posession of this dog for two years and i complained a couple of times.

But nothing was done, when his wife had a new baby he gave the dog to another neighbour, right beside our houses a new estate is being built..and the new owner puts this dog in their when the workers finish to keep out trespassers etc. (apparently he got some deal going on with the builder)

But this dog goes at it constanly and TBH i am driven half mental from it, when i'm lying in bed at nite i can hear him, even with ear plugs. It goes through your head constantly, it really upsets and annoys me.

I approached the new owner and he literally told me to "f*** off" and said no other neighbours ever complained in his ten years of living in the area...he said to me if he had a dog that didn't bark he'd shoot him.

Basically our conversation was him insulting me and making out i had the problem and not the dog, that was several weeks back and nothing has changed.

I've contemplated taking radical steps, no need to spell it out...but i'm sure it would come back to me and the owner strikes me as the violent type. So from a legal standpoint what could i do?

I know folks will suggest, why not move?...get over it, turn your tv up, wear earplugs....get a life!

But do i not have more legal rights then some dog?, does my peace of mind and well being count for nothing?

The things is, there are alot of dogs living in this area, it's just this one dog...if i had mental health issues would i not be harping on about ALL dogs?
    All i wanted from the owner was to move the dog away from where i am living, distance is the key...he's sooo close i hear him, if he was moved further away i would hear him or not as much/loudly.

Sorry for the long rant, advice and thoughts welcome :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Dog lovers will be the last people to tell you to 'get a life'. And the guy who owns the dog, does not count among our number.
    Dogs dont just bark for the sake of it.. its because they are distressed. It sounds like this fellow spends most of his life tied up and has no interaction either with humans or other dogs. Poor fellow.
    I dont blame you for being distressed over it. Noise pollution is very serious, and you most certainly have rights. I'd look into legal proceedings, and perhaps the dog warden would be able to help you. I dont know much about that side of things.
    Good luck and dont feel guilty or question yourself. Happy dogs dont bark like that, and it is just unacceptable behaviour from your neighbour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

He's always tied up and never interacts on any level, humans or otherwise. I've owned dogs myself and cats, i don't hate animals per se. To me it seems this dog is just used as some kind of guard dog...but in reality if he barks 24/7 then how would one know when an intruder is about?

I'm sure "deterent" would be stated, but if someone wanted to really do damaged to these unoccupied houses being built i doubt a dog tied up would deter them.

I will talk to the dog warden tomorrow as i am at my wits end, i know for a fact this dog has no licence nor any dogs tags or collar...which by law their supposed to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

He's always tied up and never interacts on any level, humans or otherwise. I've owned dogs myself and cats, i don't hate animals per se. To me it seems this dog is just used as some kind of guard dog...but in reality if he barks 24/7 then how would one know when an intruder is about?

I'm sure "deterent" would be stated, but if someone wanted to really do damaged to these unoccupied houses being built i doubt a dog tied up would deter them.

I will talk to the dog warden tomorrow as i am at my wits end, i know for a fact this dog has no licence nor any dogs tags or collar...which by law their supposed to have.

Hello Richard.

Please check your PMs.

Regards,

Freddie.

Advertisement