Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design copyright/ recommend an architect?

• 28-02-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

I am wondering what the situation on copyright/intellectual property rights to house designs, especially facade.

Say I see a nice house down the country. Really distinctive and contemporary facade. If sombody saw it they may recognise it in a difference setting.

What's the story with the rights of the architect that designed the original concept. Obviously the layout rear of the house would be individual (I presume)

On a related point could anybody recommend an Architect in Kildare/Dublin that would design a house with a contemporary exterior and would have a good focus on interior spaces. I always presumed that I would know what sort of house would suite me but Architects would have several years of experience to draw on as well as experienced in specifying materials and finish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i would imagine an buildings facade is part of the public domain.
    if you are re-creating my eye its your interpitation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I cant see this as being an issue. Lets say you take a few photos of this house and take them to your architect to illustrate the facade you are looking for in your design. He wont copy it as he will be the one in breach of any protected copyright but what he will do is give you a variation of it so that it retains the same semblance but possesses subtle differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

narommy wrote:
    On a related point could anybody recommend an Architect in Kildare/Dublin that would design a house with a contemporary exterior and would have a good focus on interior spaces. I always presumed that I would know what sort of house would suite me but Architects would have several years of experience to draw on as well as experienced in specifying materials and finish

I was in a similar position to you and though I was fairly sure of the type of house I wanted, I thought I'd trust in "a professional RIAI register Architect" to draw up my plans:rolleyes: After much grief and wasted time (he was trying to force what he wanted down our throats and he refused to listen to what we wanted), I eventually sat down and drew up my own plans which were good enough to get us our planning permission.

So have a go at doing them yourself as you know the type of house you want, and you'll be the one who has to live in it. If you feel you're not up to doing the plans yourself but are sure of what you want, then draft out a sketch and go to a draftsman who'll draw them up for you at a fraction of the price an Architect will charge.

Finally, if you are prepared to put in the effort, going ahead with your own planning application is not that difficult and will save you approx €15,000 in Architects fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

An architect probably won't copy another house exactly, but could do something in a similar style for you. Good general advice is to take photos/magazine clippings of what you like, and bring them to the first meeting with the architect so that they know from the beginning what you're thinking of, and they'll will be less likely to force their style on you.

If you're still interested in getting a recommendation for an architect, send me a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....will save you approx €15,000 in Architects fees.

my Architect for a 316 sq m house, 2-storey over basement, cost a lot less than that...........dunno what that no you have represents.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement