Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Easy Is It To Sell A Car Worth €100K+ Private?

Options
  • 28-02-2007 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Right my dad has got a Mercedes S320 CDI 06 up for sale for a friend i think the most he has ever sold a car for is 30k private, he picked up the car last sat and i have to say the car is the bees knees, has everything possible LWB the lot, just how hard would it be to sell a car like this private?

Junkyard..?

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

not going to be easy - what about warranty, leasing and reclaiming the VAT.

No one who buys these, new, uses cash - it's co's buying them for directors, etc, and co's only lease stuff anymore, for tax reasons.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

galwaytt wrote:
    No one who buys these, new, uses cash.........
    Apart from drug barons! :D

Volvoboy wrote:
    Junkyard..?
    I'm getting worried. We haven't had the pleasure for a while now! :eek:

Junkyard....where are you?...are you OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

People looking at more than €100k will generally not want the hassle of selling ther own 60-70k car so they trade if it's private.....

Recently had this discussion with a friend's parents....wouldn't sell a 00 Picnic Private to get a better deal because it was mopre convenient just to trade the thing (not quite the same, but they could afford to be choosy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

I disagree. Of course this is being very pedantic but it would be incredibly easy to sell a car worth well over €100k privately.

Take one S class worth €100k plus. Place an ad in cbg with it advertised at €50k ono and someone will bite. Guaranteed.

Trying to get full value on it though can't be easy. Would you want to part with €100k to a private sale where you have next to no comeback? Caveat emptor.

There's got to be a big risk penalty for trying to shift such a high end car privately. Even if you set up a high end dealership tomorrow with premises and good stock, it would still take time to build up a clientele and establish a reputation unless you were already well known in the industry.

ninty9er wrote:
    wouldn't sell a 00 Picnic Private to get a better deal because it was mopre convenient just to trade the thing (not quite the same, but they could afford to be choosy)
    I wouldn't go to the bother of selling privately for the sake of €1,000 or less difference from a trade in.

It's just not worth the hassle of having to take time of work etc. to meet a load of time wasters. I find that no matter how much info you put in the advert and regardless of what you say over the telephone, you will still have idiots calling to see a vehicle which is not suitable for their needs.

If I'm buying privately, I glean as much info from the buyer as possible before wasting his or my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yeah where is Junkyard?!

Wasnt there a Cork Car salesman done for price fixing recently!? :D:D

JOKING!!

antodeco wrote:
    Yeah where is Junkyard?!

Wasnt there a Cork Car salesman done for price fixing recently!? :D:D

JOKING!!
    LOL :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd say it'll take a while to sell privately unless priced right. I always reckon on a private sale having to be somewhere between 10% and 20% cheaper than at a dealer - given that Ballsbridge Motors have an '06 S320 CDi at €109k, I'd imagine selling privately it would need to be under €100k realistically.

Why is the current owner changing such a high-end car that's only a year (or under) old? Seems insane to me, but I'm skint! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PauloMN wrote:
    Why is the current owner changing such a high-end car that's only a year (or under) old?

And what is he / she changing to? Why not P/Ex the current car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be better off getting a dealer who trades in such high end cars to sell it on your behalf on his forecourt. He will charge a fair bit in commission but at least the car is on display to the right audience and there may be less hassel involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To look on the bright side, the car still has at least a year or so of factory warranty left on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i think it will be easy to sell if the price is right.Drop the price a few thousand below the lowest on carzone and see what interest you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    To look on the bright side, the car still has at least a year or so of factory warranty left on it.

Good point. Makes it much less "caveat emptor" really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Volvoboy wrote:
    Right my dad has got a Mercedes S320 CDI 06 up for sale for a friend i think the most he has ever sold a car for is 30k private, he picked up the car last sat and i have to say the car is the bees knees, has everything possible LWB the lot, just how hard would it be to sell a car like this private?

Junkyard..?

-VB-

i probably wouldnt buy a car like this privately unless theres a very good
    discount for doing so!

i mean if im gonna spend that sorta money on a car , id prefer to pay a few bob more to get some sorta deal with the garage regarding warranty.. if something went wrong, i would have more comeback with the garage...

also is there finance owing on the car?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If there's a factory warranty, and the car is clean and sound, and as long as the price is right, it will sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

If i had 100k for a new motor i would'nt be looking at private sales, but the car itself is brandnew the owner is the boss of a well known bodyshop, my da has been selling cars for him for years and only before xmas he sold his last s class for him, meh i dont know what to think, i think he's biting off more than he can chew.

-VB-

Advertisement