Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator Norris on Affordable Housing

Options
  • 28-02-2007 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Whilst I don't agree with everything Sen. Norris has to say, I think he's the only politician out there who's not afraid to speak out about the affordable housing scam. Fair play to him. I just hope others will catch on.

Seanad Order of Business - 27th February 2007

"I am very glad my colleague, Senator Tuffy, raised the question of affordable housing. This is another farce. My friends in Fianna Fáil ought to be very careful about getting too chummy with the building and construction trade, which is a very dangerous area. They have had their fingers burnt before and they should be careful it does not happen again. I have what I am sure is the same letter Senator Tuffy received, which was sent to a friend. It coyly states they have some property in Dublin 13. They do not say how they acquired it and, from reading the letter, one would imagine they had built it themselves. Yet a single person has to earn between €45,000 and €58,000 to avail of the scheme, when the average wage is about €30,000. Who are they talking about? This is supposed to be affordable housing for people such as poorly paid nurses about whom we are still squabbling as regards giving them a decent wage.

A couple must have an income of between €45,000 and €75,000 to qualify for the scheme. Let us live in the real world. This scheme was supposed to provide for people who could not afford housing. We should re-examine it. There is a possibility of land rezonings being involved and all the rest of it, but the critical factor is that this measure was contained in legislation passed here, providing that a proportion of developments would be allocated for affordable housing, but the developers have been allowed to get away with it. They have been allowed to weasel their way around this measure and many decent people in Fianna Fáil know that is the case."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

questions a lot of people are asking. affordable housing was originally intended to help those on low incomes which those on higher incomes bought on the open market. Instead it has been turned into a subsidy for those on well above average salaries with those on lower salaries now excluded from consideration because they are not earning enough. This could well be an election issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

If anyone wants to see the discussion, follow this link.

link (Real Player format - press "Click to start RealPlayer")

Norris can be seen at 2:13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 msscarlet

As Affordable Homes is obviously not working in Dublin City Council Administratve Area. Why doesn't The Dept of Environ increase limits for the Shared Ownership Scheme.
    Maybe the Dept doesn't want first time buyers competing with investors.

The Shared Ownership scheme is effectively gone in Dublin unless you use it to by an affordable house.

Also what percentage of developments are given as affordable housing. Originallly Part V promised 20% of developments to be either Social or Affordable Housing. The Social Housing part should only be in areas where this is a low Social Housing Element. As they are trying not to ghettoise areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 msscarlet

As Affordable Homes is obviously not working in Dublin City Council Administratve Area. Why doesn't The Dept of Environ increase limits for the Shared Ownership Scheme.
    Maybe the Dept doesn't want first time buyers competing with investors.

The Shared Ownership scheme is effectively gone in Dublin unless you use it to by an affordable house.

Also what percentage of developments are given as affordable housing. Originallly Part V promised 20% of developments to be either Social or Affordable Housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

as i see it the shared ownership scheme is pretty much the same as the "begin to buy" scheme that pat rabbite was banging on about.

i agree - if the shared ownership limits were increased it would benefit a great deal of people.

what happens when low income people cannot afford to buy property in dublin. they will look to areas where they can afford to buy and move there. then they will probably look for employment wherever they have moved.
    It will end up that the low paid jobs will be harder and harder to fill.

Something needs to be done about affordable anyway - thats for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement