Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok need some career advice

Options
  • 28-02-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

right Ok, i want to get into tattooing and I've been given a lot of conflicting advice. first off i was told to go to studios with a portfolio of art and ask the artists if any of them would take me on, so i set about building up a better portfolio after i left college (i did animation/illustration) and while i was doing that i was told by another artist not to bother applying unless my portfolio had at least a few tattoos id done myself, so i kept at the portfolio and started saving up for a machine i was then told that this was stupid and i should just apply to the artists directly again, so i went in to a studio the other day and asked how id go about getting an apprenticeship with one of the artists there and i was told that i should start getting tattoos and ask the artist while hes tattooing and that even at that its very rare that they take on apprentices because understandably its a lot of extra work they don't need to basically create competition
    also i don't really have a lot of money as I'm on the dole so i can focus on my art hence cant really afford to get tonnes of tatts (not that i wouldn't want to.I've a few but they where cheap)
    so can someone give me some clear advice on what they would do or preferably did do as a professional.
    also i've heard that people are charging for apprenticeships now is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Basically there's a few ways to get an apprenticship

1: Be friends with an artist and have them take you on

2: Have such an amazing portfolio that an artist will take you on

3: Keep going into a shop and getting work done and getting to know the artists then badger them

4: Get a machine tattoo yourself and willing volunteers then repeat steps 1-3

5: Hang around a shop and basically be their b!tch and they might take you on

Choose one

Advertisement