Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leisure cycling near dublin

• 28-02-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,

do any of you know of any cycling groups (non competitive) that do weekend cycles in or around dublin?

I just got myself a copy of 'lesiure cycling near dublin' by Hugh halpin (can find details about it on amazon etc). It outlines 40 routes near dublin ranging from 20 - 90 Km so most could be done comfortably in one day. has anyone come across this book and tried some of the trips described?

anyone interested in trying some of these cycles over some weekends?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

I heard about the book, but haven´t seen it yet, any good? Are the routes starting in Dublin (i.e. It doesn´t assume you need a car/train ride to the starting/ending point?).

If so, I would be interested, and I can get another 3/4 people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

The book is not bad. I saw it in stock in Hoggens figgins (sp?) book store if you want to look at it but is cheaper to get thru reads on nassau st. 40 trips in all described - some do start outside the city - kilcock/naas etc, but prob about 10 are in the city, starting in marley park, clontarf, finglas etc. cycling to the start point could be feasible but might turn a 40Km trip into a 70Km day cycle. I haven't got a car myself so would be looking for alternative ways to get to the start points if they were outside the city.

If a few people were interested we could get together to tackle some of the routes nearer the city first and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When training for the Wicklow 100km cycle last year (this year I'll do the 200km) I bought a few Ordnance Survey Discovery series maps (43/Louth, 50/Dublin, 56/Wickow) and just cycled around. Many of the tiny roads were lovely and quiet and the surfaces not so bad. It was fun seeing areas of Dublin and surrounds that I didn't know existed.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as above, just buy the OS maps and head out on the road to explore. the best routes imo are all into wicklow via enniskerry road, but then they are very handy for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Never tried any of those cycles but I've done Castleknock->Leixlip->Maynooth->Clonee->Castleknock a good few times, as well as out howth way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I own the book and I have done already about 5-7 of the routes. I dont have a car either so I do the routes that pass near a train station.

Routes I have done so far are: 2, 8, 9, 11, 20, 21 among others. They are very enjoyable.

The only problem is that sometimes you need to cycle in a quite busy route, which makes it not to enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'd just like to say thanks for the posting about leisure cycling near dublin.
    I've been looking for something like this for a while ,handy and enjoyable book to have.

Cheers ,
    Brian.

Advertisement