Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flashing the 360

• 28-02-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

any pros around waterford who,d be able to do this? i stuck the thread here becuz i reckoned i might get a better response here than in console modding section

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Is that updating the 360 with official firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

:D

I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

:D Yep... definitely not "official" firmware.

It's a fairly easy procedure... or so I've heard.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

What does flashing do to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Changes the firmware within the DVD drive to read copied discs as originals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

From what I've read it's pretty complex. And alot of people have fcuked their xbox because of it. Also after every new game you "backup" you have to mess around with the dvd drive again. I won't be risking it till after my warranty expires anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

u can also use a normal dvd burner to back up games if ya kno how but still i only need sumone to flash it for me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

try asking in the console modding forum they might have an Idea there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dvd Decrypt and an open dl dvd rw drive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Dvd Decrypt and an open dl dvd rw drive :D

?:eek: hmmmm

Does that work instead of flashing?

• Advertisement

Nope... that's just to make backups of original Xbox games. To flash the system you need to open it (not easy) and remove the DVD drive. Next you link it up to your PC motherboard using a SATA cable and flash away.

It's actually really easy if you do your research and be careful when opening the case and flashing.

Mike

Thanks Mikeruurds for clearing that up. I value xbox live too much to bother to flash the drive.

DVD firmware flashing has been around since the 360 launched and to date no-one has been banned for having flashed firmware when on Live (to my knowledge)

Instead Microsoft seem to be focusing on preventing users from being able to flash their DVD drives. My 360 has a Hitachi 0078FK drive which was unflashable for almost 4 months until some clever hacker known as GaryOpa cracked the hardware.

That is no guarantee that people with flashed drives won't be banned at some indeterminate time in the future though. Flashing the DVD's firmware is totally different to chipping the console. Some of the firmwares use "stealth" which supposedly fools program checks of the software into thinking that the original firmware is onboard.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

so nobody that could flash mine no?:(

Hey Mike,

I was aware of the difference in flashing and modding but as you say there is no guarentee that M$ wont figure out how to ban flashed consoles from live. I'm not going to take the chance at the moment.........that said I am considering it for a future date. Ill wait a bit longer to see if M$ take any action. I should also check to see how easy it is to flash my drive. Cheers for the info :)

No worries. Flashing is easy but if you're concerned that you might get banned then you should definitely stay away from it for now.

Advertisement