Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

45k service VW Golf price?

Options
  • 28-02-2007 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Main dealer service for a VW Golf. 45k on the clock. Oil change and filter, pollen filter, spark plugs. Nothing else replaced.

Price €480 including VAT. Thought it was steep. Anyone else think this is an example of Rip off Ireland or am I grossly underestimating the skill and time involved in an oil change service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if peeps keep paying they will keep charging

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I could have done that for you for <€120. The parts alone are <€60 (@ retail) and labour should be no more than an hour, half and a half max.

Just goes to show, main stealers are just that, I'd only ever get a service off them to keep up a manufacturer's warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW main dealer servicing is known to be expensive. If the car is outside of warranty I would use a well recommended independant mechanic in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Our Legacy cost EUR280 at the main dealer the other day for its 50K service.:D

The most recent 70K one on the 5-Series over 2 grand. Open wallet surgery.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Main dealer service for a VW Golf. 45k on the clock. Oil change and filter, pollen filter, spark plugs. Nothing else replaced.

Price €480 including VAT. Thought it was steep. Anyone else think this is an example of Rip off Ireland or am I grossly underestimating the skill and time involved in an oil change service?

They are upfront about the charge, how could this be deemed a rip off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

And all that for a junior apprentice!!!

I had my Passat serviced at a VW dealer in the UK (was living there) last summer for the 45k service.
    They quoted me £350, by lunchtime it had gone up to £680 - and I had to take it back to them 3 weeks later for a 'warranty fix' on a brake fault!

A local mechanic back here this time around will be about €180 - and I trust him!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TomMc wrote:
    The most recent 70K one on the 5-Series over 2 grand

That doesn't seem right even for an Inspection II. What work was done?

I've only once gone to a BMW dealer for a service and back then a standard oil service was £150, £250, £350 for 4 / 6 / 8 cylinder engines respectively iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Wow - thats nuts, thats why I do my own services now. Just did one two weeks ago, engine oil, oil filter, gearbox oil, differential oil and a pollen filter and replaced a rubber seal in the engine bay.

Cost €80 in parts and fluids and two hours of my time at the weekend, and I have plenty of the same topup oil lying around the garage.

With these saving, I can do the oil a filter change every 6 months and the other fluids every 12 month, for far less than the dealer and I don't have the inconvienience of having to get the car to the dealer and collect. And I don't have some honda junior apprentice asring with the S2000 also. I just keep the parts invoices and record the millage when I do it. I'll only take it to a dealer if a check engine light comes on or something that I cannot diagnose

Now with those saving I can get some nice 4/6 pot brakes soon aswell.

Jeez if any of you were my mates I'd do it for you for some beers.

How can BMW justify the price difference of 100 per 2 cylinders on an oil change is beyond me. I guess their logic is if you can affort a bigger engine, you'll pay more for a service. Nuts

If you are going for a simple fluid change service, bring your own oils and don't let the dealership charge you more money for poorer quality oils

Peace out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

unkel wrote:
    That doesn't seem right even for an Inspection II. What work was done?

I've only once gone to a BMW dealer for a service and back then a standard oil service was £150, £250, £350 for 4 / 6 / 8 cylinder engines respectively iirc
    Ned78 will tell you what new brake pads & discs for example add to the service bill of a 535d as I don't have the invoice close to hand. The first owner of the car had a heavy right foot ! I'm still in a state of shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

got a timing belt done and a fulll service for 420 and i thought that was steep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Where? Thats sounds good?

Advertisement