Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Green' Canvassing

Options
  • 01-03-2007 12:36am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Is it about time the SU did something about the environmental damage caused by the SU elections. Ok, it's not going to be much globally, but it would raise awareness of green issues.

For example when I was leaving the eng block today i couldn't help noticing all the discarded manifestos and posters around the building. Not to mention the coloured ballot papers!

Should the SU try capping Manifestos and trial touch-screen voting machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Red Alert wrote:

Manifestos are capped at 4000, which sounds like a lot but the turnout is usually in the region of 4000 so it's a reasonable limit.

However the amount of unused poster etc published by the SU itself is astonishing, and it's unclear as to whether it all gets recycled. I had considered running for Environmental Officer this year mainly on the issue of vastly improving the recycling facilities, especially for paper across campus, but well I didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

dajaffa wrote:
    I had considered running for Environmental Officer this year mainly on the issue of vastly improving the recycling facilities, especially for paper across campus, but well I didn't...
    Actually thats one thing that really irratates me about UCD is the lack of recycling facilities on campus. I live on res and we have three recycling boxes for paper, glass and cans. The paper recycling bin is at the back of the library, the cans is near the SUbar [iirc] and the glass is over in Merville. It really doesn't promote recycling at all when they're all so 'far away'. I know most residents here don't bother to recycle [yes, I was anal and asked my neighbours] and everything is fecked into the mixed waste bin which is just outside. While it is lazy and most people couldn't be arsed, if the facilities were on hand people would be more likely to use them. It really would be so sensible to have a bottle bank at each Res. eg. there are 400+ students between Roebuck Castle and R. Hall and theres no bottle bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I can't speak for this year but last year we all dumped our manifestos into the green bins that are usually near the arts block photocopiers after the polls closed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the outlying buildings like Eng tend to take the hit with manifesto-spam. i think they should be done away with, because there's not a lot on them we haven't seen before

/yes i've been in ucd too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Red Alert wrote:

I'm sure Bertie and his goons have some nice electronic voting machines lying around that could be of some use! ;)

I definitely think the college in conjunction with the SU need to work to provide more recycling facilities around the buildings. As you said at election time and when the college rags come out everywhere becomes horribly littered with paper. It would be a big step to make people think Green by deposting their own unwanted paper in an environmentally friendly way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I can't speak for this year but last year we all dumped our manifestos into the green bins that are usually near the arts block photocopiers after the polls closed.

Fraid most went into the regular bins, despite my cries of "c'mon lads it's Green Week"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

dajaffa wrote:
    Fraid most went into the regular bins, despite my cries of "c'mon lads it's Green Week"
    All them in the arts block were initially thrown into the bin but then Luke, the environmental officer started taking them out and putting them into the recycling bins
    Red Alert wrote:
    the outlying buildings like Eng
    Ha ha ha!!! Its a stones throw from the arts block.
    I started going around putting the old posters in the recycling bins but then I got bored and had a class and so stopped

Advertisement