Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in the Library

Options
  • 01-03-2007 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I friend of mine texted me to say that the library was evacuated this evening due to a fire. Two fire brigades arrived at the scene and students were not permitted to re-enter the building. Apparently smoke was seen coming from the short loan collection.

Was anyone there? Anyone hear any more information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Not the library! That's where all the books live!!!!!!111!!1!!11 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

People were Told to leave the Arts block at 21:50 (which yes I know is the usual time anyway!) because there was a small fire in the library but they still had to follow procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

You Were In The Library?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I was there but didn't see anything. Then again I just assumed it was some joker pulling the alarm.

However I did meet a friend outside who was breathless saying she had seen smoke coming from the short-loan section.

At least there isn't much flammable material there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

at 21:50 (which yes I know is the usual time anyway!)

'tis open til 11, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Yeah, apparently there was a fire in the library. Maybe CTN will post in the morning to fill us in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Ooooh burn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Anybody know what class mark smoke came from?

Hopefully the 'fire' stayed away from 300-330 section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

besty wrote:
    You Were In The Library?:eek:
    Like besty, I am shocked and appalled at these revelations.
    Students studying. Whatever is the world coming too...

P.S. I hope the fire stayed the fcuk away from the Postgrad Room.
    TheVan wrote:
    Ooooh burn....
    Heh, funny on many levels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My flatmate was in the library last nite . Everyone thought it was just a fire drill and so left their books cos they thought they'd be allowed back to get them. Apparently the escalators and emergency exits were all cornered off so no one could go back into get their stuff and had to leave it there over night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Oh dear, this is more frightening for me than it should be... Any more info on this? I should really know myself, but I'm taking a "mental health day" today.... :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There's an automatic shutter that protects the stairwell from becoming a funnel for the fire - it closes over the top of the escalator on top.

Short loan closed this morning - no mention of a fire on the notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I bet you anything the one book I need is the one book that got damaged:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

was in it this morning and the short loans collection was closed with fire damage signs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How in God's name would a fire start in the SLC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

What do you mean... the librarians didn't rescue the books one by one in a chain line. :eek: !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

electrical? lost umpalumpa decided to stop and have a smoke before continuing her quest to find the exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Librocop is so hot he spontaneously combusted??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Some radical group booby trapped a Cecilia Aherne book in the Trash section of the SLC. The poor sociology student didn't stand a chance. It exploded as soon as she opened it and her make-up melted all over her face, it's pretty nasty.

Details are sparse at the moment but all we know for certain is that they're calling themselves the Illiterati and they're demanding Dan Browne's head or they'll do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yes, I heard that too Scraggs. The temperature after him getting jiggy with all those groupies in the SLC was too hot for all those books to handle...

Librocop, lived as hero, died as a hero :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

I was there. It's actually not as exciting as it sounds. There was a ceiling panel with smoke coming out of it near the ground floor escalators. About ten seconds after the librarians noticed it they hit the evacuation alarm. Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i have an essay to hand in tomorrow and all the books I need are in SLC. What a pain in the hole

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wonder what it was then so - is that where level 2 1/2 is then? was thinking possibly a burnt escalator motor but they were all running today - could have been a vent fan going caput!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I suppose it had to be an electrical fault of SOME kind. Unless it was the lights or heating. Maybe we'll hear the real story some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Is it Librocop or Libocop??

I thought it was Libocop...like Robocop...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

SumGuy wrote:
    Is it Librocop or Libocop??

I thought it was Libocop...like Robocop...:confused:

Definitely Librocop. It is based on Robocop though.

It's a pity we don't have Terminator instead, he could have walked into the fire.

I mean... ...if we have to have a cyborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I know a few people who had to leave laptops etc behind, to be told they couldn't get them back until this morning. Not really great if you've a thesis deadline for Friday and really need to get at your files.

One guy even returned to find his disk key stolen from his laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

mloc wrote:
    I know a few people who had to leave laptops etc behind, to be told they couldn't get them back until this morning. Not really great if you've a thesis deadline for Friday and really need to get at your files.

One guy even returned to find his disk key stolen from his laptop.

So what were they meant to do? If people had been let back in to get their stuff, and they had been injured, the library would have been in serious trouble for not following correct procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

On a sort of related matter... I was queing to enter the library yesterday. There was a man in front of me who was obviously replacing the fire extinguishers, he was carrying 3 in each hand. He couldnt manouver past the turnstile so he asked could i swipe him. No problem, he got through. I wasnt sure if i could get entry, tried and i couldnt. Was told just to go up to the front desk and reset the card.

I explained it to the lady at the desk. She went ballistic and threatened to confiscate my card and fine me/ban me etc. I couldnt believe it. When i explained the situation she just got even ruder. She starting saying "he couldve been anyone etc". She almost refused to give me my card back. Im a bit p*ssed off with this. Getting a earful for doing what I thought was being helpful.
    Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

admin staff are bred to be ignorant

Advertisement