Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in the Library

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Some of the library staff are getting a reputation for being ignorant, I wouldn't begrudge their not allowing people in straight after a fire alert, that's a matter of course I suppose, but I've been treated quite rudely there a number of times with very little justification.

One of my lecturers, an internationally renowned academic who's been working here for about twenty years couldn't get his staff card to swipe one day when he was coming in to do some research last year, he said it at the desk, and even though they all knew who he was and recognised him from working there, they still wouldn't let him in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

mloc wrote:
    admin staff are bred to be ignorant

I think some people in it are very nice and helpful, however the small minority of staff ( 2 in particular ) seem to be on a power trip. Its incredibly rude and annoying

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

there's a few real nice people in the library but they're always either on the top floor or the returns desk.

there was no need to be so rude when she or librocop must have seen fire guy. in fact they weren't doing their job not to swipe him in the special access gate for things like that or disabled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Red Alert wrote:
    in fact they weren't doing their job not to swipe him in the special access gate for things like that or disabled people.

I realised that, but at the time I felt if i had pointed it out to her, she would've taken my card. Any time I spoke back to her she retracted her hand as I went to take my card back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Mmmmmmm....SLC smells of fresh paint today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I realised that, but at the time I felt if i had pointed it out to her, she would've taken my card. Any time I spoke back to her she retracted her hand as I went to take my card back.
    That's actually very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Bison

On a sort of related matter... I was queing to enter the library yesterday. There was a man in front of me who was obviously replacing the fire extinguishers, he was carrying 3 in each hand. He couldnt manouver past the turnstile so he asked could i swipe him. No problem, he got through. I wasnt sure if i could get entry, tried and i couldnt. Was told just to go up to the front desk and reset the card.

I explained it to the lady at the desk. She went ballistic and threatened to confiscate my card and fine me/ban me etc. I couldnt believe it. When i explained the situation she just got even ruder. She starting saying "he couldve been anyone etc". She almost refused to give me my card back. Im a bit p*ssed off with this. Getting a earful for doing what I thought was being helpful.
    Rant over

I'm not advocating telling lies, but unfortunately life is often made easier by not telling the complete truth to someone who doesn't have the power or intelligence to bend the rules.

Turns out it was a PA system. Not saying it was a coverup, but it's pretty hard for PA equipment in general to on fire - especially seen as that system wasn't in use any more. Something's not quite right about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well, on a technicality, PA would be considered electrical.

Depending on the system, they usually operate at 24V DC - which means electrical faults are a likely culprit.

Without any more details, one couldn't tell anymore about the situation.

PA Equipment of that sort usually operates at 100V Peak, but that system is never used for music, so normally it'd be sitting at zero. It's centrally amplified so there's no mains or 24V power to each speaker either.

An electrical fault in the amplifier could cause a fire, but that would normally confine itself to there. Also if a dangerous voltage appeared on the speaker line you'd hear it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Red Alert wrote:
    PA Equipment of that sort usually operates at 100V Peak, but that system is never used for music, so normally it'd be sitting at zero. It's centrally amplified so there's no mains or 24V power to each speaker either.

An electrical fault in the amplifier could cause a fire, but that would normally confine itself to there. Also if a dangerous voltage appeared on the speaker line you'd hear it too!
    You should write a letter to them

Do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I agree with gubbie you should construct a letter based on the information from the article and from your knowledge in engineering.It would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Two fire brigades arrived at the scene and students were not permitted to re-enter the building. Apparently smoke was seen coming from the short loan collection.

Theres only 1 Fire Brigade in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Theres only 1 Fire Brigade in Dublin

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

BRAIIIINNSSSS!!!!

Itchy Itch Scott etc.

Advertisement