Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating question

Options
  • 01-03-2007 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have an oil boiler heating radiators plus domestic hot water.
    I can cut off the heat to my hot press tank for my hot water using a manual ball valve, so i am only heating my radiators. Im wondering is there a way of controlling the temperature of my hot tank eg some sort of valve that opens/closes at a certain temperature?(like a T.R.V.) and how would it fit into my system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

paulmallon wrote:
    I have an oil boiler heating radiators plus domestic hot water.
    I can cut off the heat to my hot press tank for my hot water using a manual ball valve, so i am only heating my radiators. Im wondering is there a way of controlling the temperature of my hot tank eg some sort of valve that opens/closes at a certain temperature?(like a T.R.V.) and how would it fit into my system?
    You could partly drain the system and fit a motorised valve as a replacement, or close to the manual valve you already have. Then connect that to a thermostat strapped to the cylinder at whatever level you require. It won't regulate the temperature in the cylinder, but it will allow you to heat just the required amount of water. For example, if the thermostat is placed halfway down the cylinder and set at 50 degrees, it will switch off the valve when the temp is reached. You can set the stat higher and you will get more hot water and lower to get less. It will save you heating a full cylinder that you do not need. The actual temerature of the water will be determined by the boiler stat and the amount of time the heating has been on.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

see this device - a TRV for your cylinder http://www.myson.ie/pages/satcv.htm

available in most plumbing merchants and no wiring required. I think they are about €90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

davidoco wrote:
    see this device - a TRV for your cylinder http://www.myson.ie/pages/satcv.htm

available in most plumbing merchants and no wiring required. I think they are about €90
    That would do the same job - handier than the motorised valve - no wiring, but you still have to partly drain the system to fit it.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

looks like the job, thanks davidoco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

If you

• Advertisement
Advertisement