Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth O'Callaghan in the Afternoon... hurrayyyy....!

• 01-03-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Ok... remember way back when,... when Gareth O'Callaghan did the afternoon show on 2FM? Good show, great presenter.

Anyway - He had a silly intro to the show which had a big fanfare and finished with the 'studio audience' yelling 'Gareth O'Callaghan in the Afternoon', then cheering and clapping.

Anyone know what that fanfare is called and where I can get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

That was the best part of the show! Doesn't say much about the rest of it...

He's at Galway Bay FM now isn't he? Maybe if you emailed him he might be so kind to send you an mp3 (I presume he still has it somewhere...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Jesus, I thought I was the only one! Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2 (of which its safe to say, Gareth "modelled" his 2FM afternoon show on in the ninties!) plays a theme tune, which I think is the best part of his show. I like that jingle when I hear it, but I've dispensed with daytime Radio 2 when Ken Bruce goes off air at midday.

For those who might not know, when Gareth presented the 2FM breakfast show, he used to sign off with the last few bars of Wichita Linesman by Glen Campbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

...which, funnily enough, so did Steve Wright until recently!

Coincidence...?

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

alinton wrote:

Coincidence...?

A.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

radioman wrote:
    He's at Galway Bay FM now isn't he? Maybe if you emailed him he might be so kind to send you an mp3 (I presume he still has it somewhere...)

Looking at the Galway Bay FM web site, I see no mention of him anywhere - although I did hear he went there. Perhaps he's since moved on.

I've tried finding some form of contact email address for him but searching Google and Wikipedia turns up no reliable responses either.

[edit]: Is this him???... http://www.garethocallaghan.com/home/default.asp

• Advertisement

Yes.

alinton wrote:

Coincidence...?

A.

Actually, yes, thats right. :D
    I tended not to listen to SW at that hour as Chris Evans was on next!

Bard wrote:
    Looking at the Galway Bay FM web site, I see no mention of him anywhere - although I did hear he went there. Perhaps he's since moved on.

I've tried finding some form of contact email address for him but searching Google and Wikipedia turns up no reliable responses either.

[edit]: Is this him???... http://www.garethocallaghan.com/home/default.asp

radiowaves.fm says he is presenting or is due to take over the breakfast show there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

yip, Gareth "Love the show" is now on GB FM mornings, started about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Gareth "I used to be depressed, want to hear about my depression?" O'Callaghan? I hated his show with a passion, and the radio where I worked was stuck on 2fm. Every day at 2, we had Gareth sing along with the intro to his show, which was annoying, and what was more annoying, was his liberal use of adjectives ... "Wow, what a superb, amazing, brilliant song". Everything was either amazing, or fabulous. Pillock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭McSween

ned78 wrote:
    "Wow, what a superb, amazing, brilliant song". Everything was either amazing, or fabulous. Pillock.

they all do that, it is very annoying. gerry ryan played u2 5 times one day about 2 weeks ago :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The only thing worse than "Gar-ruh-oh-Cal-ah-han-in-dee-af-tuh-noo-wen-yaaaaayyyy" was the execrable "novel" he wrote a few years back.

The man was a repetitive self-obsessed goon, but to be fair to him, he certainly wasn't or isn't alone on Irish radio.

Names such as Ian " the grinning jackanapes" Dempsey, Larry "where's my script" Gogan, Joooooooeee " dats terrible dat is" Duffeh, and Marion "cough, wheeze, good afternoon to you" Finucane aren't fit for a job doing hospital radio.

Felt good getting that off your chest didn't it!

Gareth was okay on 2fm, better than a lot I've heard. I never really got into his show, just didn't like his style too much. But many did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He was a total rip off of Steve Wright. The funny thing about Steve Wright is more recently he has come under the same sort of hammering for not doing his links "live". He allegedly starts his show around midday pre recording some of his links. Sometimes interviews with his guest can give it away with poor editing. Anyway was never a fan of GOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Didn't Gareth O Callaghan invent the internet?
    He certainly used to go on as if he did...

The only semi-bearable part if that whole show was the office challenge quiz thing.

Advertisement