Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is my house phone number?

Options
  • 01-03-2007 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before etc..
    I've jsut moved into a house and I want to get broadband. All the services need to have the line number so that they can check availability. The landlord doesn't know what it is so how do I find out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

ring your mobile and see what number comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Assuming their is a phone there, call your mobile from it. Failing that, ask a neighbour for their number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

There is no phone setup just a line. I know that I can get broadband in the house its just that all the service providers seem to need the house number to proceed with ordering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The number will be on the bill from the phone provider. If you (or your landlord) are not getting a bill, then the line isn't active, and effectively doesn't have a number. While the line may have been active in the past, the previous billing owner could have taken the number with them when they moved. Just because you have a physical phone line coming into the house doesn't mean that it's active.

If this is the case, you'll have to get on to Eircom with your address to get the line activated. Then you'll get a number that you can use to check for broadband.

Ahh righto. Thanks. Things were much easier and cheaper with NTL in my old house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Eircom can do a search based on the house address to determine the phone number. Rather conveniently Eircom tend to conclude that there is no number or that said number has been disconnected and will probably charge you upwards of 130 quid to get an engineer to come out and fart in your kitchen.

Thats exactly whats just happened Bollocko. e130 as the line has been cutoff from the exchange? I mean wtf? And then they can't even tell me if I can get broadband yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah... I know... Dude dont even talk to me. I hate eircom. I seethe with rage when I hear their name. I have been waiting 4 months now to get broadband set up thanks to the most inept telecommunications company in the history of the universe. It took some 8 weeks from call to install of the landline and they still charged me 130 euro. I got the landlord to pay it. After that I ordered broadband, my landlord ordered it, my girlfriend ordered it, we all ordered it. I am on first name terms with the broadband sales staff and yet still, now, some 4 months after I put in the first call, still no ****ing broadband.
    Are you totally sure there are no other alternative broadband providers in your area? MAybe non-phone line based? Digiweb or chorus or NTL?

No its all phone based around here in Moycullen. Its such bull****. You would think that you were ordering such a luxury product. Its 2meg broadband!
    4 months? Damn. I hope I'm not going to have to wait that long for mine. I shoudl be able to just order broadband over the phone and not have to order a line first and then broadband after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Jocksy wrote:
    Thats exactly whats just happened Bollocko. e130 as the line has been cutoff from the exchange? I mean wtf? And then they can't even tell me if I can get broadband yet.
    Bloody hell. I thought that reconenction should cost no more than €25, €130 is a joke and a disgrace. Are you sure you weren't being lied to by some eircom drone? If the line is there and was previously in use then it's a very simple task for them to re-enable it.

According to eircom's website connections is currently free:
    FREE* connection - worth up to €49.99 (inc. VAT). Where all line work is completely in place and there has been previous service at the address.

And even if it wasn't free it's normally €49.99 and not €130. Ring them back again I'd say.

• Advertisement

She seemed to imply that the previous tenant had unpaid bills and that Eircom physically cut the line and thats why it has to be redone. I smell BS.

Just found out that I can get Irish Broadband Breeze out here. Should I be worried? I'm not signing up for a 12 month contract of crappy service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They wanted to charge me similar to that amount. I just kept ringing and saying I wouldn't pay ANY. I had had eircom and disconnected the service was so bad.

Eventually after paying only the part without the extra charge, they dropped the extra charge from my bill.

Important to pay the undisputed part of the bill.

Advertisement