Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you view Bowling as a sport?

Options
  • 01-03-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Bowling is a very popular activity both recreationally and competitively. Every day in Ireland there are hundreds of people bowling in a league, tournament or one-off competition event.

Equally, every day in Ireland there are thousands of people who are just randomly throwing a heavy ball down the lane in the hope of knocking over a few pins :)

To me bowling is both a recreational past-time and a sport. You won't get super-fit playing it but you will become technically excellent, improve eye-hand coordination and balance and develop greater flexibility in your limbs as well as toning your legs and butt if you're doing it properly.

What do you think? Is bowling a sport? Would you think of playing it as a sport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

I think i'd be a bit of both!

When you're with some mates - it's just a bit of craic, but if you really get into it, its great fun, very competitive and a decent work out (forearms etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A bit of both really. If darts, snooker, angling, etc, are considered sports well then definitely.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    improve eye-hand coordination and balance and develop greater flexibility in your limbs as well as toning your legs and butt if you're doing it properly.
    Eh...no? Guess I'm doing it all wrong then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Eh...no? Guess I'm doing it all wrong then;)

I'm not suggesting you'll become Hercules or that bowling will replace a workout at the gym (if only!) but bowling regularly and concentrating on what you are doing will improve these facets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yup, it's a sport alright. One of the few sports where you can sit around, eat junk food, drink Coke and sneak off for a smoke all while participating. No wonder I was drawn to it. Of course the only sport I play now is :D POKER.

Advertisement