Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snap!! Another broken rod.

Options
  • 01-03-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Well I picked up a new Fox 9ft spinning / jerkbait rod at the angling show a couple of weeks back.
    It had a cast weighy of 60 - 120g which I was after

I set it up with my shimano areo GTE and 100lb breaking strain braid and off I went onto a midlands lake trolling and casting big plugs and soft plastics.
    Had a great day and got stuck into a 15lb hen which handled beautifully with the rod and reel, whic I was extremely happy with! And at 9ft the rod was handy for the boat with enough length for playing fish.

Anyways off out again I went with the boat and new setup.
    Due to my boat partners and my own stupidity the rod ended up being driven into a overhanging tree on a small river and snapping the upper section, not only this but the reel seat on the reel also snapped right off making it useless!!
    Gutted was not the word.

So reel's gone, rod top in splinters.
    My question is can a rod top be ordered on it's own or am I going have to fork out for a whole new blank as well?
    Does anyone know of a friendly tackle shop who may help?

I called a local tackle shop who were less then helpful

I really like the rod and would like to get the same model again!!

(P.S of course I blanked on the same day with the spare rod. Not my cheapest or most productive day piking!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i would check ebay if i were you...
    100lb braid?? what were you going for???

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

just out of curiosity.. which shop did you get it from at the show ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

not really on this topic but kinda the same. I am looking to do a bit of rock/pier fishing. I have pike rods and the usually tobys etc. I am wondering if the rocks around gormanstown are any good for makeral/bass etc. Also wondering can the lake gear be used. Finally is howth any good for spinning from the rocks etc? and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

adonis wrote:
    100lb braid?? what were you going for???

99lb Pike with a bit of luck.

Nah, river is snaggy in parts so and bulldawgs etc are €15 a pop.
    With 100lb braid and a good trace you can straighten out the trebles before the line snaps.

Have lost a fraction of what I'd usually lose using mono.

And with my rod/reel snapping habit that money will be well used elsewhere;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Could have been worse

• Advertisement

100lb braid is still madness!
    anyway, u said it was a lake u were fishing in ;-)

adonis wrote:
    100lb braid is still madness!
    A-Trak wrote:
    I set it up with my shimano areo GTE and 100lb breaking strain braid and off I went onto a midlands lake
    Session 1
    A-Trak wrote:
    Anyways off out again I went with the boat and new setup.
    Due to my boat partners and my own stupidity the rod ended up being driven into a overhanging tree on a small river
    Session 2

I was fishing on a lake, and a river. Different days!

100lb mono will pretty much never break, has no reel memory, when trolling or lure fishing you connect with the fish straight away, and has no stretch.
    I've easily saved the difference in price in lost lures.
    And has the same diameter as 15lb mono!

How is that madness??

i use braid aswell, powerpro actually...but id never go over 15lb with it..
    100lb is for tope or something..
    braid is much stronger than mono too so 15lb probably translates into about 30lb mono..
    anyway, i dont find spinning(wobbling) with braid any good...no memory isnt any use for a twitch!
    where were u fishing anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

adonis wrote:
    braid is much stronger than mono too so 15lb probably translates into about 30lb mono..
    Isn't that like saying 15lbs of lead weighs more than 15lbs of feathers? Surely 15lb braid will break at 15lb; as will 15lb mono?

oh wait yeah your right, im talking about the diameter of the braid being the same as 30lb...sorry my faux pas...

damn that drennan double strength for confusing me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

"use braid aswell, powerpro actually...but id never go over 15lb with it.."

what are you fishing for??? skimmers???

ehhhhhhh no
    i have caught and landed 3 fish over 15lb with that line..
    even when i was using mono to leger deadbaits i would never have gone more than 15lb.

and i didnt know skimmers went as big as 15lb, you'll have to tell me where you fish

Its sort of a given nowadays for pike fishing that if your using braid its pretty much like this...

Deadbaiting - 30-50lb braid

General lure fishing - 50lb

Jerk baits and big lures - 65 - 80 - 100lb

Each to there own though , but remember fish safety comes first , ya dont wanna be leavin hooks in fish :)

Each to there own though , but remember fish safety comes first , ya dont wanna be leavin hooks in fish :)

My thoughts exactly.

Try throwing and casting a big bulldog or fox replicant around on mono and see how long you keep them.
    Even the slightest fault in your terminal knots or line will result in the lure flying through the air on it's own after 4 or 5 casts.
    And tying knots in mono does weaken it no matter the breaking strain.

It is very much a case of each to their own, but when I am using large soft plastics, 100lb braid keeps the lures in my box at the end of the day, and not at the bottom of a lake or swimming around stuck in a pikes throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Sea Angling Ireland SAC had fun in Kilmuckridge with at least two rods breaking. The 2 I know of were Daiwa Longbeams16ft, both breaking in more or less the same place!

As we were packing up a freak wave washed 3 feet up the dunes and had people scrambling to retrieve rods and other tackle disappearing into the surf! One rod that was nearly lost was a Century Tip Tornado Lite that a guy had borrowed when his rod broke!!

On the case of the broken rod I got in contact with Paul Callahan from Anglers World in Navan and I have to point out how fantastically helpful he was.

Going as far as contacting the manafactuers for me as the model may have been discontinued.
    Really really great service, highly recommended.

And seeing as this is the 3rd rod I've snapped in two years (none with by fish I might add) I think I might be a regular customer!

Its sort of a given nowadays for pike fishing that if your using braid its pretty much like this...

I would never have come near using 30lb anything (mono/braid) and i have never broken on a pike!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

fair play to ya!

thanks

Not knocking you or anything adonis , how you fish is probabaly perfectly fine and you probabaly know what your doing , but with 15lb braid i woudnt be confident if i had to give it some stick against a big hen fish.....

just my 2 cents :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement