Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Firefighters call on young motorists to slow down

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hmmmm ... Well its engine size vs power output ?

I recon power output, i'd much prefer to be in a bigger car with the power restricted, better brakes, better safety features, better suspension, better roadholding and then when you pass your test you can get your restriction removed !

How about this rather than severly inflating the price of vehicles under a certain CC as people will have NO CHOICE but to but these cars!

This is common practise on motorcycles.

i.e. An aprillia RS125 extrema is a DEATH TRAP, a 400CC V-Twin Honda Bros is far safer. The aprillia is FAR faster than the Bros.

But you can see my point, restricting engine size is restricting the market. You should be able to buy any car you want and restrict the power output or top speed.

I drive a 1.9L TDI and i've often seen Polos and Micras flaking past me on the dual carriageway or going through roudabouts. But i dont NEED to go faster as

1. I have a comfortable car.
    2. I don't want to crash the f*cking thing
    3. Why go faster than 100 KPH ? You dont get there much quicker anyway !

If i want a thrill, i'd get a bike again and go on a track day.. NEVER in my life would i drive on irish roads again, its suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i already posted a thread about this, and i was correct to assume this young lad was flying off the road when he killed two men on duty.
    there were lighted beacons at the scene as well as 12 men and all the lights on the fire rigs etc were lit up.
    so obviously this guy had no clue what was going on.......to say he smashed into the back of a tow truck.
    i mean he must have been going pretty fast to give the men absolutely no time to get the hell out of the way.

i blame his parents for letting him drive a 2 litre sports car when he shouldnt have been alowed on a bike imo.

but this guy was hardly going to say no to driving a 2 litre sports car.

as for bhp vs cc, i think its quiet irrelevant. as a 2 litre car obviously got a fair amount of whack.

his father should be ashamed to let him drive a car like that in the first place. as sooner rater than later it would end with devestating consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Although I know nothing about the exact circumstances, my gut feeling is that the Gardaí fire service, and the two individuals killed were somewhat reckless in putting themselves in a position where this could happen.

When you are on a public road, even if you are a garda, logic should dictate that it is at least possible that a car may not stop. It wasn't an emergency where anyones life was at danger that they were tending to, so they should really have ensured their working conditions were safe.

I am not saying the guy with the Audi was in the right, far from it, but what happens him is pretty inconsequential to those who were killed.

I see a claim against the gardai and fireservice by the families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

craichoe wrote:
    Hmmmm ... Well its engine size vs power output ?

I recon power output, i'd much prefer to be in a bigger car with the power restricted, better brakes, better safety features, better suspension, better roadholding and then when you pass your test you can get your restriction removed !

How about this rather than severly inflating the price of vehicles under a certain CC as people will have NO CHOICE but to but these cars!

This is common practise on motorcycles.

i.e. An aprillia RS125 extrema is a DEATH TRAP, a 400CC V-Twin Honda Bros is far safer. The aprillia is FAR faster than the Bros.

But you can see my point, restricting engine size is restricting the market.

The Aprilia RS125 isn't that faster , and it has good tyres/brake etc. It is far from a death trap ( try KH750s for interesting experiences).
    Now the bit it has in common with (some esp smaller) cars , it has a very peaky engine which doesnt do much at low rpm at all, which can make for an enjoyable ride , but means you have to keep it busy. This is grand a lot of the time but can encourage lads to faster than they should in certain situations. Also in common it has enough power to get you into trouble but often it can't get you out.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ninty9er wrote:
    The driver was arrested on suspicion of drink driving and released without charge. Especially with a Garda killed, this would not have happened if he had been drinking...going to a house party at 5am isn't unusual, but coming from Kerry to do it is...so I'd be wide of that one

I'd love to see old people restricted in the size of their cars as they're way more dangerous and don't have a clue what a fu<king mirror or indicator is....will it happen....no because all the young driver bashers wouldn't be able to speed about with "their experience" then either.

Grow up!!

He could easily be released without charge if he had been drinking. People are questioned and released all the time in relation to serious offences. Usually it happens when the DPP and Gardai want to look into their options before charging and believe there are potentially very serious charges to bring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

maidhc wrote:
    Although I know nothing about the exact circumstances, my gut feeling is that the Gardaí fire service, and the two individuals killed were somewhat reckless in putting themselves in a position where this could happen.
    When you are on a public road, even if you are a garda, logic should dictate that it is at least possible that a car may not stop. It wasn't an emergency where anyones life was at danger that they were tending to, so they should really have ensured their working conditions were safe.

I am not saying the guy with the Audi was in the right, far from it, but what happens him is pretty inconsequential to those who were killed.

I see a claim against the gardai and fireservice by the families.

Maidhc,your entitled to you opinion, but if this post sums up your attitude, then it bites the big one.

They were at the scene of another accident. Where a person had to be cut out of their car. It's like the unofficial motto of the US Coast Guard. "You have to go out. You don't have to come back"
    It wasn't an emergency where anyones life was at danger that they were tending to, so they should really have ensured their working conditions were safe.

And what time would that have been? Lets close a road during the daytime because of an accident?
    The optimal time to clear up an accident is when the roads are quiet. And at 5am you don't expect some idiot haring it along as if his ass is on fire to get to a party so he can probably shag some young one.
    I see a claim against the gardai and fireservice by the families

Maybe so, but it's more realistic to assume that the emergency services have a fund for deaths in service.

Can anyone remember if Detective Jerry McCabe's widow has put in a claim? I don't know but i'd doubt it because i would think that the service families look after their own

Posts like that maidhc, they really annoy me. HOW DARE YOU call 2 men who have given their lives in the service of their country reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

gatecrash wrote:
    Posts like that maidhc, they really annoy me. HOW DARE YOU call 2 men who have given their lives in the service of their country reckless.

I said at the start I don't know the precise circumstances, but

putting a Carina E onto the back of a truck is not something that they or their superiors should have put themselves in a position of danger over.

They are two workers like everyone else. Just like a builder shouldn't go up on a dangerous ladder in a high wind, neither should they put themselves in a path of an oncoming car, or if there was no option, but to be in that position a further member of the force and a squad car should have been positioned so as to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

maidhc wrote:

I think this is rather unfair comment. Given the situation (the previous accident) in which they were involved (of which we know very little), I would have thought that their concern was likely for the driver of the car they were recovering or the safety of the general public and the urgent need to clear the public highway. In my experience Gardai and Firefighters are in the role they are as they have a particular ability to often put others first. For this reason this tragedy is particularly sad and is not unlike the case of firefighters or rescue workers caught up in the 9/11 tragedy.

Again, I know little about the facts and the driver involved, but my personal rule of thumb is Drink + Drive = Idiot. We have been told enough times in this country not to drink and drive, and it is a pity we need to be reminded of this again. If drink was involved, a sober driver may have had the extra few seconds to react and spare a lot of people a lot of grief.

Nor do I believe that any amount of restrictions on young drivers will solve this problem. Insurance limits certainly haven't worked as the 'auld fells are quite happy to pull scams like insure their sons as a name driver in their or the Ma's name on the 2L while sonny insures the 1.0L micra with Ma or Pa as a name driver. Guess who drives the 2L around back roads at 4 am while pops drives ma home the few miles from the local in the Micra.

My 2c's on this one. I've still got 98c change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

maidhc wrote:
    I said at the start I don't know the precise circumstances, but

putting a Carina E onto the back of a truck is not something that they or their superiors should have put themselves in a position of danger over.

They are two workers like everyone else. Just like a builder shouldn't go up on a dangerous ladder in a high wind, neither should they put themselves in a path of an oncoming car, or if there was no option, but to be in that position a further member of the force and a squad car should have been positioned so as to protect them.

There were warning beacons out on the road telling drivers to slow down.

Apparently and allegedly the driver thought that it was a checkpoint so he accelerated to go through. He hit the carina which then hit Garda Kelleher and Firefighter Liston.

If a squad car had been blocking the road and this toolbag drove into that at pace he probably would've killed himself (no great loss in my opinion) and his 2 friends in the car, but then every bleeding heart in the country would be out castigating the Gardai for parking blocking the road with a squad car.

The only option was to follow established procedure and place warning beacons out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

gatecrash wrote:
    There were warning beacons out on the road telling drivers to slow down.

Apparently and allegedly the driver thought that it was a checkpoint so he accelerated to go through. He hit the carina which then hit Garda Kelleher and Firefighter Liston.

If a squad car had been blocking the road and this toolbag drove into that at pace he probably would've killed himself (no great loss in my opinion) and his 2 friends in the car, but then every bleeding heart in the country would be out castigating the Gardai for parking blocking the road with a squad car.

The only option was to follow established procedure and place warning beacons out.

If what is posted here is true, then if there is any justice in this country, this louse will serve a custodial sentence.

I would find it hard to believe that the standard practice of using beacons/warning lights was not carried out. From pictures in the press, the recovery lorry had amber roof beacons fitted - even if these were the only ones used, it should have been quite visible from a good distance away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    I don't know the precise circumstances
    TJJP wrote:
    I know little about the facts and the driver involved

Rather than speculate or point the finger, we'll leave this for the authorities to investigate, etc.

My thoughts go out to all people affected by this tragedy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement