Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Delivery mileage?

Options
  • 01-03-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hi all, a mate of mine has just got a brand new car, a C4 Picasso. This car is apparently hard to come by at the moment but the dealer got one from a Citroen dealer down the country somewhere and got it transported up. He took delivery of it yesterday, pleased as punch.

Initially, it took him a while to get the mileage to show up on the computer, as it's a personalised thing where you can select what you want it to display. When he did get the mileage up, it said there was 160 km on the car already. What he's wondering is, is this excessive for a new car? It seems a bit high to me, given that he was told it would be transported from where ever the garage that had it was, but is there any point going back to the dealer about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

160km is a bit excessive for a new car - they usually arrive at the dealer with less than 10km on the clock! Maybe it was driven from the garage down the country - this happens, but usual practice is to have it transported.

It could also be that the car was used for test drives before being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This may no longer be the case, but when I was selling VW & Audi in 98-99, there was a way on the car to reset the mileometer to zero, provided no more than 75 miles were showing. This could, however, be done up to three times. I would imagine that your friend's car was simply driven back from the garage down the country, rather than being transported. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, making a scene may get him a discount off his first service or a free tank of petrol etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Anan1 wrote:
    This may no longer be the case, but when I was selling VW & Audi in 98-99, there was a way on the car to reset the mileometer to zero, provided no more than 75 miles were showing. This could, however, be done up to three times.

I remember this. You simply held down the mileage reset button for about 30secs and the clock zeroed. Later they reduced it to 60miles and one reset, then they eliminated resetting altogether.

I've had people complain with 10 miles on their new car as it was no longer new - I've had others complain that there was not enough miles on the clock so it couldn't possibly have been test driven! Sometimes you just can't win!

I'd be inclined to go for Anan1's suggestion of trying to haggle for a tank of fuel - it's gotta be worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

160Km is too much to have on a brand new car, how much time has passed since he got the car? It might be difficult to prove that your mate hasn't done the mileage since collection. But might be worth a phone call or call in to the dealer, if you complain enough loadly in front of other customers, they might give you something like a full tank of fuel, you never know unless you try.

added, looks like Alan1 got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Cheers lads, I was thinking something similar. I think he only just got the car yesterday, so there's still a possibility for for complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

10km is more than plenty.

I wouldn't be happy. I'm picking up a new car this afternoon and if there's anything remotely near 20 kms on it I'll reject it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Alot of dealers (dublin based more than others i'd imagine) use a yard to store cars a couple of miles away where it's cheaper.
    The new cars will be delivered there and then driven to dealer for PDI and sale. At work 30km is about the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

10km is more than plenty.

I wouldn't be happy. I'm picking up a new car this afternoon and if there's anything remotely near 20 kms on it I'll reject it.

What are you getting henry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

My new car was delivered with 8KM's on the clock.

I put up 50KM's on the demo model I took out for a saturday afternoon, the following week after another quick test drive, the very same car had 2KM's...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well, I hope ye guys never get to buy a new Porsche. Every single 911 is driven on the public road around Stuttgart and down the Autobahn - and not at 120kph either - for, iirc - 50kms?

And if it needs a second go, it gets that too.

As for rejecting a car with 20kms on it, that's just nonsense - are you saying you'd prefer them to reset the odo, and then you'd be happy...........?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know it would bug the hell out of me but it isn't excessive. I know a Nissan dealer who has cars driven from Dublin to his garage 90Kms away. Those same cars have also been given out for test drives. Your mates car may have been driven to the garage down the country and test driven before it was tranported up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

When i collected my new car, back in 2002, there were only 3 miles on the clock........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Saw a brand new unregistered 911 turbo in a dealer here, and the rear tyres looked like they saw some serious action. Not high miles, but small number of hard miles. Some sideways action too!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say 160km on the clock means the car was used for customer test drives. If the car was hard to get as the OP stated then more than likely this one was the only one in stock at the time to allow potential customers test drive it.

To be honest I would be more concerned about the condition of the car if this is the case. Check the paint work for marks and scrapes or the interior for scuffs, go over the car in fine detail before accepting it. Car could also have been sitting in a showroom where customers are getting in and out of it all day. If customers were in and out of the car then it is very easy for buttons or zips of clothing to scratch the paintwork.

That is an indication of some sort of use, this imo should be considered more important than what the odometer reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I would echo what Bazz says, have a very good look at it for any dings/stone chips, scratched alloys, etc... This would upset me much more than 20kms on the clock.
    I know for a fact that dealers often let customers test drive new/un-reg'd cars, which are subsequently sold as "new", after every tom dick and harry has been in and out of it.

galwaytt wrote:
    well, I hope ye guys never get to buy a new Porsche. Every single 911 is driven on the public road around Stuttgart and down the Autobahn - and not at 120kph either - for, iirc - 50kms?

And if it needs a second go, it gets that too.

As for rejecting a car with 20kms on it, that's just nonsense - are you saying you'd prefer them to reset the odo, and then you'd be happy...........?

I heard their engines arn't required to be run in as they were "broken in" at the factory. But maybe they get a spin around germany too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ronoc wrote:
    I heard their engines arn't required to be run in as they were "broken in" at the factory. But maybe they get a spin around germany too.
    It's not done to break the engines in, rather to ensure that everything is ok with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

180km is a lot on a Citroen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

ciarsd wrote:
    My new car was delivered with 8KM's on the clock.

I put up 50KM's on the demo model I took out for a saturday afternoon, the following week after another quick test drive, the very same car had 2KM's...

what dealer/make/model ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

blastman wrote:
    Hi all, a mate of mine has just got a brand new car, a C4 Picasso. This car is apparently hard to come by at the moment but the dealer got one from a Citroen dealer down the country somewhere and got it transported up. He took delivery of it yesterday, pleased as punch.

Initially, it took him a while to get the mileage to show up on the computer, as it's a personalised thing where you can select what you want it to display. When he did get the mileage up, it said there was 160 km on the car already. What he's wondering is, is this excessive for a new car? It seems a bit high to me, given that he was told it would be transported from where ever the garage that had it was, but is there any point going back to the dealer about it?

i got my new car in oct had 12km on it thats normal. i often see on the m1 new cars being driven, most often v fast without any plates on them, i would be rightly pissed off if i was the customer who bought one of these cars i seen being obviously driven to the dealer..

it is common for dealers to let customers test drive unregistered cars,
    i have driven them numerous times, someone eventually buys the car, that was unregistered but was used as a demo........( and doesent know it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gatecrash wrote:
    What are you getting henry?

Got a Focus 3 door 1.6 Zetec Connection. 10kms on the clock on delivery.

It's good. After the ST it's obviously much slower, but it's still lively enough.

The voice commands and bluetooth really are great. For €500 the Connection pack is fantastic value too. Auto mirror, lights, & wipers.

Driving to Cork in it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

wow, after having an ST that must be a massive difference in power... were you not tempted to get another?!
    I'm picking up my new GTI in the next hour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

JoeA3 wrote:
    wow, after having an ST that must be a massive difference in power... were you not tempted to get another?!
    I'm picking up my new GTI in the next hour :)

Must miss doing 150mph everywhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'll be picking up my new car on Tuesday or Wednesday. Every other new car I've had has had no more than 5 miles on the clock. Even if the new car has up to 30 or 40 I don't think I would be bothered tbh assuming there are no scuffs or scratches. I wouldn't be too worried about 160km either but I probably would use it to get a few freebies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My 3 new cars - Honda CRV 4 miles,Audi A4 40miles which I thought was a lot and Golf GTI 11 Km

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

I had 82 miles on an Audi I picked up in 2004, I had ordered it 10 weeks previously and it was one of the first engines of its type in the country.

I complained to MDL about it but was told the dealership had a storage garage 30 miles away and they have put it in storage once the car was delivered.

Needless to say I wasn’t impressed and never went near the place again for a new car.

Advertisement