Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting wooden treads on concrete stairs

Options
  • 01-03-2007 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

We have a contrete stairs in our house. It is completely unfinished at the moment. We had originally planned to put solid oak treads on it, so when it was shuttered we asked them to leave each step a bit lower to allow for this.

Since this was done we (she) have decided that the wooden treads could be slippery and that we'd be better going with carpet. I now have to get rid of this allowance we made for the wooden treads and raise each step by 60mm.

I was thinking of using construction adhesive to attach 60mm of timber to each step. Bacause it will be completely carpetted over, I don't think it matters much what I use as long as I can make up 60mm. Has anyone got any ideas how best to make up this 60mm?

Also, should I leave a nosing on the treads? What thickness should this nosing be? I assume not the full 60mm. How far should it project over the riser, and should it be rounded?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

What about keeping with the original plan of oak threads and putting a carpet 'runner' down the centre.

I have oak threads and painted white mdf risers and am very happy with the result. The plan was to put a runner carpet down also but not decided on it yet as might just jkeep with the full oak thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

bro' wrote:
    What about keeping with the original plan of oak threads and putting a carpet 'runner' down the centre.

Yeah, we thought of that too but we thought that it might make the stairs look very narrow. Also, if we were going with oak treads, the tread thickness I had in mind was about 40mm. This would be expensive and would be a bit of a waste if most of it was covered by carpet. If we completely carpet the stairs then we should get away with cheapo softwood or ply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd suggest using plain MDF. Build it up using a few thicknesses (3 layers of 18 and the thickness of underlay and carpet should be around 60mm) Leave the top one overhanging and rout the overhang to give a rounded nosing.
    Use construction adhesive to stick the first layer to the concrete, as I doubt it's perfectly level so you need something to fill the uneveness. Then glue and screw the remaining two layers.

Advertisement