Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Costs

Options
  • 01-03-2007 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭

A neighbour of mine brings his dog to a different vet than I. He was charged around 30 euro more than I was for a yearly check up ( vaccination booster, wormer ect). With his previous dog he was charged 200 euros :eek: to have the dog put down (as it was 16 ) and receive the ashes. This man is an OAP . I've since advised him to change to the vet I go to. I never realised there was such a price variation in vet charges.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

200euros Thats a ridiculous amount of money to ask to put a dog down....veterinary fees definitly do vary and so does the quality of the vet imho...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Only guessing but the vet may of only charged about 30 euro to put that mans dog down and the rest of the cost was to have the dog cremated which I can imagine could cost a bit.

Prices are going up all the time for vet care, it does pay to shop around as long as the vet is one you would trust. If you take a number of animals in at the same time it can work out cheaper, e.g. if you have more than one or two dogs or more than one or two pets that have health checks yearly.

A good idea is to take out pet insurance, it could save you a bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Variations in price differ because some vet practices have more services than others... if u dont want the best in pet care you should go to the cheaper one. get a job done badly and then end up having to go to the better vet to get it fixed. Or get some pet insurance. You could then go to the better vet and it could end up costing you nothing. Putting a dog down isn't that costly.. i'm sure ur oap friend had the choice of burying the dog himself, the dog being sent away for cremation and no ashes returning or having the ashes back which does cost a lot. This cost doesnt go to the vets but to the people who cremate the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I'll second that, individual cremation is extremely expensive! One crowd who I know charge 160euro for a small dog, up to 280euro for a large dog, the vets do not get this money!! If money is such an issue, perhaps your neighbor should have gone for routine cremation, in most places that costs between about 30-60euro, depending on the dog's size. There is a massive variation in other prices though, take microchipping, I've been quoted between 30 - 95euro in various practices. You do need to take veterinary costs into consideration when owning a dog, most practices are kitted out with expensive equipment, x-ray machines, in-house labs etc, not to mention qualified staff, they need to make money back at the end of the day, so yeah, welcome to the expensive world of dog ownership!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The weimaraner I was sitting in Liverpool cost £280 to get neutered! All because one of his balls hadn't dropped. I told the owners they were being ripped off but they'd already sent in a check! Thats about 430 euro!!
    Now I know an anaesthetic for a big dog costs a lot more but really!! I'd say that would no more than 250 euro here for the same op.
    Some vets just have higher outgoings for surgeries and staff but a minor few vets probably do rip people off too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The weimaraner I was sitting in Liverpool cost £280 to get neutered! All because one of his balls hadn't dropped. I told the owners they were being ripped off but they'd already sent in a check! Thats about 430 euro!!
    Now I know an anaesthetic for a big dog costs a lot more but really!! I'd say that would no more than 250 euro here for the same op.
    Some vets just have higher outgoings for surgeries and staff but a minor few vets probably do rip people off too.

While I have heard some horror stories I'd expect that a dog or cat going in with Cryptorchidism would be expensive. That can be a fairly serious op especially as the lost testicle isn't always where it should be.
    Sometimes they can spend a while rooting around in there to find it and they have to find it because it's at a high risk of turning cancerous in later life. The longer time spent under means that they have to use a different anaesthesia which works out more expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

I had to have my 12yr old CKC Spaniel put to sleep last year unfortunately. Our vet charges approx €200 for individual cremation and return of the ashes. It's quite steep but I didnt mind paying it as I really wanted her ashes back. I'd guess that's what the OP's neighbour did too if the bill was that dear. It's a shame it's so expensive though, especially for an OAP.

My same vet gave us free treatments when one of our foster kittens got quite sick last October, poor mite couldnt walk properly due to a badly upset stomach :(

Advertisement