Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Cars

Options
  • 01-03-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Just thought I'd get some opinions from you guys. I'm 20, have full licence nearly 2 years and currently have a 92 mk3 1.4(60bhp) golf.

I've been offered my uncles 98 passat 1.9tdi(90bhp) with 78k miles for €2000. Now it needs the comfort arms, tax and NCT but otherwise the car is in decent shape. Its been parked up for a while (about 6 months) as my uncle has a jeep that he uses mostly instead. He's had the car since 00.

I've also checked the insurance and its €50 cheaper, happy days!!

Just wondering if you guys think that this is a wise move, or any thoughts you might have on it?

cheers,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car is sound, running and gets through the NCT then you could do a whole lot worse with €2k. You might even get a few notes for your old Golf.

One thing to note though is when the timing belt was last changed, if it was changed at all. The old Passat had the engine mounted length ways which made the changing of the timing belt difficult and time consuming hence the job is more expensive.

Also if the car has not been used in 6 months I would get the oil and oil filter changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Yep, sorry, ment to say it was done in Laharts main dealer at 65K I think, I remember him bitchin about how much it was!

Thanks Bazz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

2k for a 98 diesel passat is fairly gud. But check the suspension arms for wear and knocking as passats are heavy cars. Ive been told that there is a aluminium part in them that tends to wear easily and is expensive to replace.

If there grand then id buy. I Have a 01 passat now and its getting about 47mpg!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Sounds a very good deal.

One thing you should watch out for on an old diesel car is emissions on the NCT, alot of them fail on this and it can be costly to put right. A couple of posts here a while back about putting a drop of petrol in with the diesel or driving the guts out of the car prior to the NCT to clear the system, worth looking into if your buying it.

Advertisement