Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

im a crazy?? 4.1 liter car

Options
  • 01-03-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

hi everybody,

Im in oz at the mo and I bought a car today 4.1 liter Ford Falcon. Its not gonna be a city car and only be used for the long journeys in the outback. my first trip is gonna be aprx 2000K.

What do you think. would the fuel bill be big?? there will be alot of driving inth e middle of nowhere.i though about it at the time but now im having seconf thoughts.

any thought would be appreicated
    G

Comments

abakan wrote:
    hi everybody,

Im in oz at the mo and I bought a car today 4.1 liter Ford Falcon. Its not gonna be a city car and only be used for the long journeys in the outback. my first trip is gonna be aprx 2000K.

What do you think. would the fuel bill be big?? there will be alot of driving inth e middle of nowhere.i though about it at the time but now im having seconf thoughts.

any thought would be appreicated
    G

Feck it, buy it now because in a few years anything less effiecient than a smart car is going to get loaded with carbon taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What year is the car? anyway that car would be a guzzler on fuel. You would be lucky to get 15 mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 KTdesigner

Bring lots of water too. For youz and the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I traveled up the west coast in an old 4L Ford over the new year. Thirsty enough but the fuel costs are lower than back home.
    We needed to keep and eye on oil and water. The 40c+ heat wasn't the best on top of 5-6hrs non stop driving with little or no cool down time for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Dont break down - ever see Wolfcreek??:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

gyppo wrote:
    ever see Wolfcreek??

i had the misfortune to view that. my spine along with my achillies heel hasnt been the same since...

btw OP, buy it buy it buy it. cant beat the feeling of a 4l car and the sound of the engine should make it work while... just stock up with plenty of petrol cans in the boot, better yet, tow a petrol tanker! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

DO IT! Ya can't experience Australia any other way other than from a big Ford...unless it's a big Holden.

I grew up in Mackay in North Queensland and our family car was one of the attached. I stll think about that car. It was white and still the most beautiful car I've ever seen. If I had the cash I'd buy one of them over any modern car.

I remember it was a V8 but can't remember the cc of the engine. I remember my Dad telling me he had to tax it as a truck or something due to the engine size.

When we moved to Ireland we got a ......Mazda 323. There's nothing like those cars if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had one of those babies when I was in Oz.

Bought it for $3,800 and drove it from Cairns to Brisbane, then around Brisbane for a month or so and then down to Sydney. I need it to do some test or other when I got there before I could sell it ina multistory car park in Kings Cross. It failed the test, but about $50 in a motor factors and a few robbed parts from an abandoned falcon sorted me out. I sold it to two Scandinavian girls for $4100 !!!

The fuel in Oz was cheap, and cruising on their interstate roads does not drink up much.

It was very reliable, but took two attempts to start every morning. Its odometer was also fupped, and stuck on about 400,000 miles. I'd say the car had done three times that.

Ah, them were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Just found out our old car was a 5.8 litre. Take that Al Gore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

kevpants wrote:
    Just found out our old car was a 5.8 litre. Take that Al Gore!!

Their is no replacement for displacement! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

thanks all for the replys.

i just bought the car. petrol was an issue but the sound of that car sold it.car only cost 1000AUS. but ill prob spend that easy enough on fuel doing this trip

the car is 1987, oddmeter is stuck on 211877 kmp. it look good alrite, as ud expect from a 20year old car

gyppo - refuse to look at those films before i take this trip.

its mad, i bought the car and the guy told me not to register it?? so who does the parking fines go to - what if the cops stop me? good old oz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

So that'd be an XF then?

feckin great cars, accept no substitute in the Ausie outback, Ive had a few meself. does it have roobars??

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Expect to get between 15mpg and 30mpg.

I know that's a bit vague but it will all be down to how you drive it.

You'll probably average about 20mpg.

Advertisement