Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver Theory Test

Options
  • 01-03-2007 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

So, i land in to the Test Centre on my lunch break at 1:05. Wait around for a few minutes, then sign-in, confirm my details and then sit down to do my test. Skip through the practice screens, yada yada yada, hit start and then my jaw drops.

First question : What is the maximum permissible speed for a car towing a caravan on a motor-way?

All of the possible answers are in km/h...

I know that the general speed limit is 60 mph, 70 mph on the motorway and as far as i could remember 60mph for cars towing stuff on the motorway. I have no idea how many km/h that is so i guessed 90 km/h. I think i got that wrong. The other question i think i got wrong was "where on the vehicle is the gross weight show?" Again i had no idea, so i guessed the Insurance disc. I think i got that wrong too.

So basically i was using the old DTT cd. That had just over half of the total number of questions, since they updated the DTT in october 2006.

Bad buzz. The cd i was using had all the speed-limits in mph, on the spot fines in pounds and no multiple choice questions.

Was sure i was going to get 40/40 because i had done it so often at home.

I got 38, bad buzz.
    Bad buzz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

so?, you still passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You passed didn't you?:D

Yea I was a it disappointed when I got 38, It was the most mind numbing five minutes of my life, but who actually cares about exactly how much longer it takes to brake on an icy day?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Motors --> That way
    As Femmy said, you passed a basic test. No worries. Next is the driving test.

To be honest, I never knew the speed limit for vehicle and trailer. I was often driving different vehicles with difffernt trailers. Depending on what I was driving/pulling I would adjust my speed to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Vorak wrote:

First question : What is the maximum permissible speed for a car towing a caravan on a motor-way?

All of the possible answers are in km/h...

I know that the general speed limit is 60 mph, 70 mph on the motorway and as far as i could remember 60mph for cars towing stuff on the motorway.

All wrong!

The answers are 100kph, 120kph and 80kph.

Wrong forum, too. 38/40 is ok, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm sure the OP talking about kph not mph. Many of us still make the same mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

Slow coach wrote:
    All wrong!

The answers are 100kph, 120kph and 80kph.

Wrong forum, too. 38/40 is ok, though. :)

Ah, i was quoting the CORRECT answers as they appear in the pre-updated DTT CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

geez guys, these are simple questions...

/starts rant about how, back in the olden days in the Fatherland, we had to feckin' CALCULATE brake distances for different weather conditions, required distances to other cars in various weather conditions and at various speeds, with trailers, without trailers, as trucks...and you guys can't even convert miles to km/h???

Explains a lot. It really does. And the scary thing is, that was just the theory test, and there's proper material out there to study for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hey is there a new version of the CD out with all the corrected stuff on it. Where i cud download it Oops I mean buy it wud be nice too to know

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah new cd came out few months back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Yeah there's a new Cd alright. I'm sitting the Bus Theory Test tomorrow. Just doing some last minute revision with the disc. Here's one question on it that has me a bit baffled.

Select 3 answers. Which of these should influence the route which you plan to take?

A - The Length of vehicle
    B - The number of gears on the vehicle
    C - The number of axles on the vehicle
    D - The weight restriction of the vehicle
    E - The height of the vehicle.

I would have thought the correct answer would be C,D and E. The disc says the correct answer is A,D and E. I was thinking of the 5-axle ban around Dublin surely would have some affect on planning your route?
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I would of guessed that the speed while towing is 80 km not sure even have a hgv licence so i should know lol.The bit about the weight of your car is it written on the car at all or on the paper work for the vehicle.Iv only ever seen it on commercial vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bbability wrote:
    Yeah there's a new Cd alright. I'm sitting the Bus Theory Test tomorrow. Just doing some last minute revision with the disc. Here's one question on it that has me a bit baffled.

Select 3 answers. Which of these should influence the route which you plan to take?

A - The Length of vehicle
    B - The number of gears on the vehicle
    C - The number of axles on the vehicle
    D - The weight restriction of the vehicle
    E - The height of the vehicle.

I would have thought the correct answer would be C,D and E. The disc says the correct answer is A,D and E. I was thinking of the 5-axle ban around Dublin surely would have some affect on planning your route?
    Any thoughts?
    Although the test was compiled before the implementation of the 5 axle ban, the A,D and E would still be most important as they are concerned with safety as opposed to traffic management.

(I'm open to correction on this but I think Dublin City is the only place with an axle ban as opposed to the normal weight ban).

Good luck with the test. Let us know how you got on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

galah wrote:
    /starts rant about how, back in the olden days in the Fatherland, we had to feckin' CALCULATE brake distances for different weather conditions, required distances to other cars in various weather conditions and at various speeds, with trailers, without trailers, as trucks...

Wow, that was really interesting. I love hearing people talk about how it was in their day. It really makes me appreciate just how much easier our generation has it.

Hah! April Fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bit confused re theory test, If I got my first provisional back in 1998, got a few lessons but did not really drive, got a second provisional in 2002, again did not drive and am about to get a third provisional, this time I innted driving do I need to do the theory test? My understanding was that if you had a provisional before a certain year you did not have to do it, am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You don't need to do a theory test if you've had a provisional already.

Edit: Actually dudarda is correct. If your last provisional expired more than 5 years ago, then you need to sit the theory test. You should be fine as your licence would only be expired for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if your last provisional was over 5 years ago, then you will need to sit the theory test. Maybe someone else can confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep rang up on friday. i got my first prov licence in 1997. but haven't had once since. I have to do the theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mods - this thread would be more suitable in the Learning To Drive Forum. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

moved!

Advertisement