Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which is the coolest bar/club in Dub today?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cast_iron wrote:
    That pretty much sums up Cafe en Seine punters - "I claim to be richer than you".

Clearly, financial status means alot to you, when it's all you have to insult me with. Newsflash, most people don't consider "appearing wealthy" the be all and end all of life.
    It's generally accepted that most of those in Cafe en Seine and such are people are laiden with debt and living beyond their means (think how many use credit cards in there) and "looking" good means more to them than anyone else.

Get over yourselves.

<stares at chip on cast_iron's shoulder>

<dismisses comments as poppycock>

<thinks of asking for proof/more detail, laughs and ignores>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Coppers is good at the mo. Not as bogtastic as in the past.

D2 is only good on student nights, other wise its just as watchyourwallet as any temple bar dive.

Palace still ok on fridays, though starting to wane a bit there too.

Reynards on a wednesday good, tho its members only which I guess is a two sided coin. I like it, would be good for not too mad a night or somewhere to turn up ****faced.

92 has gone to ****, door policy is a joke. They let just about anyone in nowadays, meaning the place has lost its cache and is basically just a glorified knackerhole. 92 used to be good cos no matter how drunk you got you know you'd be ok, the bouncers looked after you (genuinely) and there was little or no trouble.

Not a fan of Lillies or Cafe en Seine... they just kinda bore me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mloc wrote:
    Reynards on a wednesday good, tho its members only which I guess is a two sided coin. I like it, would be good for not too mad a night or somewhere to turn up ****faced.

its tripe... i'll offer my card to anyone who wants it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

rogue is the new wax, baacklash moved there last year with much the crowd

True dat. But I still find myself in wax from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Best pub for any night of the week has to be Rody Boland's in Rathmines, brilliant spot for an all day session!!

Whelan's on Wexford St has a cool crowd, not many D4 types and great music every night too..

If you're still thirsty at 3am then head on to Leggs on Leeson St for a €20 bottle of €4.99 wine but can be a good laugh!

No night is complete without the No. 2 breakfast in The Manhattan at 4am!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

For something different? The Bernard Shaw. You can play pool in the smoking section, they feed in some mellow dub or dnb and the walls have art and some good graffiti around it. The crowd is a bit scenester but all good pubs fall into this. Haven't been in a while, but since your looking for something a bit different and probably know most of the places mentioned there ya go. My own view? Vary it. Go to all the pubs and stay for an hour until you get to a buzz you like. That people say I am going here and thats it is odd to me. Sample it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

mloc wrote:
    92 has gone to ****, door policy is a joke. They let just about anyone in nowadays, meaning the place has lost its cache and is basically just a glorified knackerhole. 92 used to be good cos no matter how drunk you got you know you'd be ok, the bouncers looked after you (genuinely) and there was little or no trouble.

The stink in that place was/is inhuman. Kind of a sour smell of puke and feet. Don't know how/ why people would pay money to be subjected to it. Think it was from the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

philcsl wrote:
    Best pub for any night of the week has to be Rody Boland's in Rathmines, brilliant spot for an all day session!!

Whelan's on Wexford St has a cool crowd, not many D4 types and great music every night too..

If you're still thirsty at 3am then head on to Leggs on Leeson St for a €20 bottle of €4.99 wine but can be a good laugh!

Fabulous, you just named three places where I will not, under any circumstances, step foot in again.* They have to be the three most packed and uninviting places I've had the displeasure to visit.

I've not done breakfast in Manhattan because I don't do food on the way home.

*unless there's a band playing in Whelans that I really want to see

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

^ well obviously everyone's different and that's what makes this place (boards/Dublin/earth take your pick) so great, but personally I'm with you philcsl, on most counts
    philcsl wrote:

Rody's is, for me, the old reliable. It's handy that I live just up the road from it, but even when I lived up on the north side for a few years I used to make the trip across every so often. i was in there the Saturday before last and the music was just the best mix of a bit of everything with a small amount of cheesy crowd pleasers but mostly Irish or indie/alternative anthems.And then bonus songs at the end of the night were "Dancing at the Crossroads" the Wexford 1996 all-ireland song and Riverdance!

And the crowd are down to earth, yes it is a country pub and dubs are usually outnumbered and *shock horror* that could be a factor :eek:
    philcsl wrote:

OK, this is my favourite place in town, perfectly summed up. like phantom fm, it's about the music, oh, and the crowd too
    philcsl wrote:

OK, preferably I am unconscious when I am in this place and sober it can lead to wrist-slashing type activities, a lot of the hospital working crowd go here so if, like me ,you're one of these people you can end up there often against your will or just because you're trying to hook up with someone from work, the music is actually not bad but hopefully you don't remember it and hopefully you don't end up with "LEGGS" emblazoned on your credit card bill for a pricey bottle of vinegar. but at least it's free in....
    philcsl wrote:

I prefer the number 3 myself but I agree with ya!

And as for other bars, well for me, notable mention to Sin é on the quays, as someone said great down to earth crowd and music is eclectic but not too obscure and good party atmosphere there

wyndham wrote:
    The stink in that place was/is inhuman. Kind of a sour smell of puke and feet. Don't know how/ why people would pay money to be subjected to it. Think it was from the carpet.

carpets are up now...doesn't smell half as bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just out of interest how many people here would use their credit card to buy drinks?

thats fecking nuts, if you dont have the cash dont go to the place. your practically asking to be skimmed.

TBH wont go into town anymore, just doesnt feel good. i'll stick to the suburbs where a pint is under a fiver. honestly the state of half the people in town is just off putting, how the hell are you meant to relax in that atmosphere.

my card is perpetually maxed out...to easy to use when drunk, but a life saver when stuck in town

Advertisement