Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect to database hosted on hosting365 through SQL Server Enterprise Manager

Options
  • 01-03-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi

Feel free to move this to the appropriate forum. The Web Hosting forum may be more relevant but it looks as though it hasn't been used in a while.

I've just signed up with hosting365 and have a load of data stored in SQL Server to move. I'm just wondering if it is possible to access a database hosted on hosting365 through SQL Server Enterprise Manager. I've tried creating a new alias through the Client Network Utility and new sql registration but had no joy.

Is what I'm trying to achieve possible?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you contacted H365 about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll really need to check it with H365.

You have signed up to use an MSSQL database and not a MySQL database haven't you?

I know that H365 will allow remote access to MySQL database servers, but I don't know about MSSQL.

Can you not just run a database backup from your own server, then use this backup to "restore" the server using H365's database control panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

You will need a static ip address to access the DB through Enterprise Manager or the Query Analyser.

Also, make sure you have access to SQL 2005 tools if you want to use the Enterprise Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Yes, we support Enterprise Manager, and there is also a web based enterprise manager in your control panel under the MS SQL options - please contact us directly for support :)

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

grahamor wrote:
    You will need a static ip address to access the DB through Enterprise Manager or the Query Analyser.

Also, make sure you have access to SQL 2005 tools if you want to use the Enterprise Manager
    You don't need a static ip to do it.

You can use either Enterprise Manager or SQL Management Studio to manage the database. I'd recommend using Enterprise Manager to create a DTS package that backsup your old database and automatically recreates this on the H365 server with all your data. Quickest and easiest way IMO.

If you need a hand, give me a shout. I'm a veteran at this stage, especially on the H365 servers! :D

Rgds, Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

DJB wrote:
    You don't need a static ip to do it.

Sorry i thought that was normal.

I have a SQL DB with Blacknight and they insist i use a static ip to connect which means i have to remote desktop onto a machine with a static ip to connect and that machine only has Sql 2000 and the DB is 2005 so you can only use the query analyser to edit things, it's far from practical but everything else about Blacknight is first class.
    there is also a web based enterprise manager in your control panel under the MS SQL options

That sounds far easier, is this a new thing on shared hosting? i wonder will Blacknight be getting this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

grahamor wrote:
    That sounds far easier, is this a new thing on shared hosting? i wonder will Blacknight be getting this soon.

We're currently evaluating a few options for MS SQL remote management.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there is also a web based enterprise manager in your control panel under the MS SQL options
    it that myLittleAdmin?
    grahamor wrote:
    I have a SQL DB with Blacknight and they insist i use a static ip to connect
    I didn't know you could connect at all!
    blacknight wrote:
    We're currently evaluating a few options for MS SQL remote management.
    woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

No, it's ASP.NET Enterprise Manager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/asp-ent-man/). Not a bad application but not great either. Handy for getting a quick look at the database and making simple changes but I Prefer using the real thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement