Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life of PI

Options
  • 01-03-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up this book a while ago. Only got in to it over the past week or so.
    One of the most enjoyable books I have read in ages. Loved it. A little slow to get going, but once it does, non stop from from chapter to chapter.
    Great ending, didn't see it coming.

Next book on my list is My Name Was Judas. Don't know anything about it. Just picked it up today. Wanted something new :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Yes that was a great book alright! It was included in a run of great books i had a few years back...back to back I read, Shadow of the Wind (all time top 5), the Time Travellers Wife, My Lovely Bones, Cloud Atlas and Life of Pi. it was a great month or two that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

catch--22 wrote:
    Time Travellers Wife

I :) this book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

this was a great book. it was relentless. i learnt so much from it, even though i believe you have suspend your belief for a while during much of it. the end is the best part. it is prob. exactly what would happen in reality too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's definitely in my top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I read this a few months ago after hearing a lot about it, and constantly seeing it in "Best of..." lists.

I am glad I read it, but that's due more to satisfying my curiosity about the book, rather than pure enjoyment in reading it! I found it amusing in places, but found that it dragged somewhat, after the first third of the book. By the end of the book, I was reading it just to finish it, and I hate when that happens....

Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I for one won't be running out to Yann Martel's next book....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

Loved the book start to finish. call me gullible all you want but a lot of it seemed pretty realistic including the references to others in similar circumstances and the whole "ficto-biographical" nature of it.
    a great read.

i read it straight after i read "vernon god little" while on a bit of a booker prize winner rampage. these two were definitely the best of them that i read.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I found it a slow starter, then really enjoyed it, and felt a bit disappointed at the end. It tries too hard at the end, which is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

I finished this last night.

I thought it was good but not great. I smiled at different parts, I learned something from others but in general I thought it was a bit so-so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

arctic_fox wrote:
    i read it straight after i read "vernon god little" while on a bit of a booker prize winner rampage.

Didn't really like the style of "vernon god little" myself. Found it a bit of a strange book. Not bad overall though.

Really liked "Life of Pi" though. Found it fantastic when I first read it. This thread reminds me to read it again.

Advertisement