Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone adding a PS3 to their console collection?

• 01-03-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

Just lookin for thoughts/comments to see what people are doing. I have put a deposit down on a PS3 (and will hold on to my 360) but am really startin to struggle with the thought of parting with 700 smackers! I love my 360 so am I just being greedy?

Anybody feel its a must have or even seen it in action?

Thoughts/comments/smart-arse answers - all welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

well i only became a playstation fan when the ps2 came out, always nintendo before that, then my girlfriend bought me the 360 so i havent even thought of the ps3 or at least buying it when it is released.
    i believe there are a number of reasons why its a waste of time at the moment:
    600 quid-joke and most places will force bundles on you bringing it over 700
    with the 700 i save i plan on buying a nice 32" hd tv
    games that are being released on both the consoles are being designed on the 360 and ported to the ps3 at the mo, so there going to be roughly the same, in fact ive seen videos where they compare and the 360 is better.
    theres already talk also that the ps3 is going to have to have a price drop so wait a few months and you could save yourself a few quid.
    also the xbox live is suppose to be far superior to the ps3 even though you have to pay for it, its only one days bloody work ha and thats from a college student.
    i also like the connectivety the 360 has with my laptop but im sure the ps3 has something similar just havent heard much.

maybe a year or so down the line i might consider buying the ps3 but im even more interested in buying a wii before it at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I won't be buying a PS3 until it's at least 50% cheaper and has at least five must have games. Metal Gear (or the promise of it) does nothing for me, there's no great launch exclusives and for the price they're asking, I wouldn't even think about buying one.

Having said that, my PS2 is getting a new lease of life right now with FFXII, Okami, We Love Katamari and God of War 2 on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I'm with Doyler , wii conquers all , saving for one as we speak/type.

Would I want a ps3? No. It's just a ps2 on steroids!There is no extra gaming dimension, if I want that kinda junk I'll just turn to my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I paid a deposit on a PS3. Used all the games I had on the 360 last year that I'm finished with as a trade in . Once i get it that will be all 3 i have no 360, Wii, PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Same as him ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, I always thought "yeah eventually I'll get one" but then I put an order down on one the other day, it is a ridiculous price really, but my little brothers are putting in €400 between them so I said why not! I'm also a fan of HD movies and I have the HD-DVD drive and also want some movies on blu-ray so that swayed me a bit too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i put €50 down on a PS3 and got rid of alot of xbox 360 stuff that i had around and that is paying for the PS3.

so i will then have Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Surely this thread should be moved to the general games forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd rather eat dinosaur sh!t that's been fermenting for 1 billion years than buy something from those downers at Sony!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'll definitely pick up a ps3 simply because it's the best option for me to watch 1080p content (lack of hdmi on my 360 puts that out of the running as the vga on my tv won't take a 1080p signal). Won't pick it up quite yet though, may wait till the summer and get one in the US or import a jap one, it all depends on whhich region gets the best and most frequent Blu Ray releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

When the PS3 does something I want, e.g. play games, have games, online gaming, better, I might consider it. Then I'll come back to my senses and wonder why I'm thinking of wasting €600+ on it.
    So in short, no, I'm not getting it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'll be buying one and I'll be the proud owner of a PSWii60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I'll definitely pick up a ps3 simply because it's the best option for me to watch 1080p content

Do you have a 1920 x 1080 high def tv? Because 1080p won't look much different to 720p if you're watching it on your standard 32/40 inch high def tv with native resolution of 1366 x 768 or 1280 x 768 or 1024 x 768. You need around a 60" tv to be able to see the difference at those kind of resolutions

GStormcrow wrote:
    Do you have a 1920 x 1080 high def tv?

Yep, 1080p wouldn't be much good to me if i didn't :D . It's a 37" screen but because I sit quite close to it (under 8 feet) I think the difference should be noticible. Course can't be sure till i get a decent 1080p source going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nope, wont be gettin one. Happy with my XBOX 1 and Wii!

Also, that whole Hi-Def thing I feel is a gimmick, as is Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I was up in the sony centre today looking at a bluray DVD on a hi-def screen. For the price, its not that much different to Hidef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Will be eventually but probably not for a good while. I do want Motorstorm and the F1 game but aside from that there's nothing that makes me really want it just yet, I know there's enough games in the pipeline that will make it hard to resist about a year from now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I don't have an HDTV at the moment and couldn't care less about Bluray. Right now if you combine the current and future titles on Wii, PC, DS and 360 (systems I own) then I just don't see how I'll even find time to get around to playing the PS3 big hitters.

Personally DMC4, MGS and FF XIII don't really interest me that much. I might be tempted if/when God of War 3 gets released as a PS3 exclusive, but that'll probably only be late 2008 or early 2009. As it stands right now it looks like only DMC4 will be released this year. €700 to play one AA game is a ton of cash for what you're getting. Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword are not tempting me to drop a wad of cash... I prefer Burnout and the Project Gotham series.

I have a PS2 at the moment which is where the real gaming action is at as far as Sony is concerned... God of War 2 etc.

I only just got my 360 as a Christmas present and I'm loving it. I'm also anticipating the release of Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy.

Meh... PS3 is not even on my shopping radar. Maybe when it retails at +-€350

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

No plans to get one for me. I've a modded Xbox I use as a mediacentre and an Xbox360 under my standard TV. Next step is to get a HD TV but there's always something else I need to spend that grand on and a third console isn't it. I've no inclination for HD movies so the HD-DVD / Blu-Ray war is going to pass me by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

mcgovern wrote:
    When the PS3 does something I want, e.g. play games, have games, online gaming, better, I might consider it. Then I'll come back to my senses and wonder why I'm thinking of wasting €600+ on it.
    So in short, no, I'm not getting it :)

Exactly.It doesnt do anything better, and there are no games on it that I can justify spending €600 on it for, heck even if it was €300 it still has nothing I want.

Savemejebus if a 360 was released with HDMI though would you get it?
    On a 37" screen the gains arent going to be that impressive either from 720p to 1080p.

@Clank - If i managed to get rid of my current 360 and if the hdmi one (is it called xephyr) has quieter components (my 360 - which i love - is a noisy fecker) and possibly as a bonus hd-dvd built in then i'd get one in a heartbeat.

I'm not too concerned with games at 1080p, more movies and the PS3 is one of the cheaper, all in one blu-ray options, plus it has game and runs linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'll probably get one eventually, probably when they release Gran Turismo 5 in HD. Also want it if Blue Ray wins the format wars

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The_B_Man wrote:
    Also, that whole Hi-Def thing I feel is a gimmick, as is Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I was up in the sony centre today looking at a bluray DVD on a hi-def screen. For the price, its not that much different to Hidef.

What? Blu-ray is hi-def, as is HD-DVD. How are you expecting it to look different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

More then likely get one next year, unless it goes completlely belly-up for sony! i.e blu-ray loses and not much in the way of exclusives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

if i do get one it'll be second hand in bout 2 years. I couldn't stomach giving Sony any profits

I can do without DMC and Gran Turismo.

I also HATE PS controllers. The analogue sticks are awful compared to the Nintendo and MS versions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Stephen wrote:
    What? Blu-ray is hi-def, as is HD-DVD. How are you expecting it to look different?

This is one of the problems with these new formats. There's so much marketing BS out there. A lot of people are confused about them and you will get a fair few people thinking things like "blu ray should be better than hi-def" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This is one of the problems with these new formats. There's so much marketing BS out there. A lot of people are confused about them and you will get a fair few people thinking things like "blu ray should be better than hi-def" etc.
    Every time there's a new format, it's the same story ... 'ours' is better than 'yours' type marketing.

Betamax Vs. VHS
    Sega Vs. Nintendo
    MiniDisc Vs. Mini Tape (remember them?)

1080i High Def Vs. 1080p "True" Hi-Def (but who can really tell the difference)

Best to let them beat it out and go with whoever wins, I say. By then it'll be cheaper and they'll have ironed some of the kinks out of the system, too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Far too expensive for me! I'll wait a couple of years and pick one up at a reasonable price with some must have games. I just couldnt justify it at the mo! (Also the 360 does everything I want it to do!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

seeing as i never bothered with the ps2 i doubt it.
    my 32" tv only does 720p and 1080i so not bothered about 1080p video and games which wouldnt look any different on it if it could do it.
    maybe in a few years if i move house and can afford a 1080p projector for the dreamed of entertainment room :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not a notion would I pay that much for it.
    With the discovery of TVersity my XBOX360 now does everything I need it to do. I dont play games on it that much anyway, just when there are a few mates around and for that I find the Wii to be far more entertaining.
    I dont really have the time for three consoles but as I said the XBOX does everything I need it to do, the Wii provides most of the craic and the PS3 just looks to be a very expensive potential mix of the two with less features. I'll probably do the same as another poster above and put the 700 yoyo towards a decent sized LCD.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Vegeta wrote:
    I also HATE PS controllers. The analogue sticks are awful compared to the Nintendo and MS versions
    I second that.

Advertisement