Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perception of Steel vs Timber Framed Homes

• 01-03-2007 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into steel vs timber frame houses for a developer considering both.

Has anyone come across strong opinions against steel frame homes, or are they fairly rare?

There's two options, steel joists or to have an in-situ poured concrete slab for the first floor - the concrete sounds interesting - both noise wise and fire protection.

Though would people have a "retail warehouse" type opinion of such a home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I can't understand why you would want to consider using a steel frame or 'steel joists' as you put it. Are you talking about a standard blockwork house with the occaisional steel beam if needed? Steel is very expensive after all and if you just build the houses using standard block constuction you may only need one or two steel beams in the house.

I think a precast floor might be a better option than insitu but why not just use a timber floor at 1st floor level? Are there going to be separate units on the first floor?

One of the benefits of timber frame is the speed at which the houses can be built. Once the foundations, rising walls and ground floor slabs are done, the rest of the structure flies up in no time.

If I had a look at your drawings I might be able to give you a better idea - I do a lot of this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Hi Patrick

We were going building a steel framed house in Tipperary for a client but we opted for the Poroton block with the external insulation instead. We thought that by the time we would have all the steel fabricated and erected we would have the walls built with Poroton. We also felt it was easier than trying to eliminate cold bridging through the steel. We are starting building now on a bed of Polysterene eliminating any direct connection between the footings and the ground, so this would not suit a steel structure.
    I also do not like the Polyeurethene sheets some companies put on the inside of the steel frames, this messes up the breathability of the walls causing condensation in the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Thanks cartoon head,

It's a similar system to the timber framed concept and the costs are roughly the same. A sample system is at www.fusionbuild.com

I'm not sure which system the developer will go with, what I'm interested in is finding out what people's reaction to a steel framed home would be?

Most peoples impression of steel frame buildings are warehouse or office block type buildings and they wouldn't necessarily think of them as suitable for homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Ok, I see what you mean now. I would have some concern about the steel frame option from the point of view of someone who later wanted to alter their home. For example, if the owner decided to knock an ope out of a wall to put in double doors, I would think that a timber frame would be far easier to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There is a scheme of 140 v.high efficiency homes built in Tuam by Coffey Construction of steel-frame construction. Houses are so efficient they don't need boilers...........

Yes, mods after might be a prob, or at least more difficult.

They all have conc floors upstairs, as it's easy to do in a steel house.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement