Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie - rated "Red" by McAfee Site Advisor

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DeVore wrote:
    UCC was the 9th website in the world ever. I have a picture of it on my laptop, sent by the original webmaster Peter Flynn. I'll upload it when I get home from my trip. Actually, heres a link: http://imbolc.ucc.ie/oldmenu.html

DeV.

Looking at that picture brings me back a bit. I started in St. Patricks College Maynooth (NUIM) in 1992 and did computer science for a year, I remember being instructed to look at the 'fantastic' web sites from Ireland and all over the world...things have moved on a wee bit since then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

And yet there are still people who think the web will never catch on and coming up with stupid ideas like SOAP to "fix" it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

DeVore wrote:
    UCC was the 9th website in the world ever.
    Ah hell, I was close. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Talliesin wrote:
    And yet there are still people who think the web will never catch on and coming up with stupid ideas like SOAP to "fix" it.

What's SOAP? (too lazy to google, too lazy to wash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

John wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    It's an attempt to stop making machine-to-machine use of the web simple and easy to hack together (because apparantly this can't work) and replace it with an increasing number of overly-complicated spec's which are flawed, self-contradictory, bloated and impossible to build to with any guarantee of interoperability, which are in turn supported by libraries and toolkits which are also flawed, bloated and non-interoperable.

This will make machine-to-machine use of the web better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ah, that all sounds very silly.

It is. Of course the people involved have a rather different spin on it to me, but it is very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,827 ✭✭✭SeanW

RuggieBear wrote:
    had to uninstall that bloatware McAfee, from a mate's computer last weekend. My god does it slow things down.
    Why does everyone hate McAfee so much? I've been using it since December and it's fine, no slowdown at all or anything, except when it's updating, then it hogs the processor and if you're gaming your FPS goes into the toilet for 30 seconds. But that only happens once every day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

it seemed to do some sort of update/something when initally turni g the computer on and it seemed to literally add about 3-4 mins before you could actually do anthing on the pc. 3 mins is a long ****ing time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

NOD32 FTW - smallest memory footprint of any AV I've ever used.

McAfee/Norton are better than nothing, but both are a resource and memory hog.

SeanW wrote:
    Why does everyone hate McAfee so much?
    Like Norton, it has been known to completely screw up set-ups to the point where the only solution is to re-install the OS and all software from scratch.
    SeanW wrote:
    I've been using it since December and it's fine
    If it did so in every installation even McAfee wouldn't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Macs can't get viruses.

Buy a Mac.

iConsume
    iConform
    iObey

SyxPak wrote:
    Macs can't get viruses.
    Every time someone says that I feel so tempted to try to write one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

SyxPak wrote:
    Macs can't get viruses
    Theres a Mister Owl to see you, sir.
    Ducklin warned the Apple community to not be complacent because although writing malware for the Mac is more difficult than it is for Windows, the users' common sense can be a weak point.

"There are things that are done in OS X that make it less likely you will get a virus but very little can head off a determined and ill-informed user," he said. "If you are determined to run a program against common sense then you can get yourself into trouble and that may cause trouble for the next guy."

Granted, its not the best rebuttal to the point, but... um... it exists. So there.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why would you write a virus for a machine that only has 2% of the desktop market worldwide. (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/06/01/mac-market-share-update/). It would be like committing armed robbery on a primary school.... dangerous but with little upside.

Secondly, while MS use Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) to great affect, the Linux/Mac fanboys arent above using it too. Put an unpatched Linux machine or Mac straight on the internet and see how long it lasts.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

DeVore wrote:
    Secondly, while MS use Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) to great affect, the Linux/Mac fanboys arent above using it too. Put an unpatched Linux machine or Mac straight on the internet and see how long it lasts.

DeV.
    Indeed. Stick to OpenBSD I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yarly.jpg
    Granted, its not the best rebuttal to the point, but... um... it exists. So there.
    sarcasm.gif

Thaedydal wrote:
    Could be worse Watty I once got asked to look at a pc which was scragged.
    Someone had turned on the file extesions and saw a bunch of files they never 'used' and to free up space seclected all the .dll files and deleted them..........

Oh the amount of times that I've done something similar when I first started using a computer.

Speaking of Antiviruses, I've always had terrible, terrible experiences with Norton and McAfee- they're too intrusive I find.

Advertisement