Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtualisation

• 01-03-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with virtualisation in particular QEMU. Im heading down under for a while and I was hoping to bring a 2.5" HDD with me for backing up photos and running portable apps. Then I thought hang on I could bring my PC setup with me if I wanted.

Has anyone used it or setup a virtual OS with it etc?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've used VMware Server (also free) a bit. It's as easy as setting up any PC, except you're setting up a PC... in a PC... :)

Don't excpect it to be particularly fast though (especially if you don't have a lot of RAM or a dual core CPU).

Never heard of QEMU before, but there's a lot of info on the Wikipedia article about it (with links and comparisons to other virtualisation software).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

QEMU is verry slow and linux is moving away from it as a result.

Virtual PC is reasonbly quick and free

Vmware player and server are free and i have to say are very quick

Download VMX builder and Vmware player.

As for moving your whole pc thats a little more complex due to driver support and the fact windows will have a panic attack if suddenly booted in a VM
    see:
    http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Virtual Box, open source and performs better than VMware according to benchmarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Thanks a million for the feedback. In order to run all of the options above I presume I would need to have software installed on the host PC. Are there any options where I dont have to do this (as most likely I will be using them in internet cafe's etc)

Regards,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Knoppix and Damm Small Linux (DSL) both can be run from a memory stick but require that the PC can boot from a USB drive and that you CAN reboot the machine

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Would U3 enabled USB drive not do you?

Advertisement