Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LHD -> RHD Cars

Options
  • 01-03-2007 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Is it easy to convert LHD cars to RHD? What kind of money would you be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ronanom wrote:
    Is it easy to convert LHD cars to RHD? What kind of money would you be looking at?
    The short answer is no. With regard to cost, it really depends on the car. What car had you in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

None...
    Just wondering when I saw a LHD car for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Some cars are easy to do a Yaris for example is actually built with the same dashboard on LHD/RHD models and only the fittings are placed differently depending on the driver or passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Surely there's more to it than that. What about the steering and pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well I think he means it's easier as opposed to cars which need the majority of the dashboard replaced. The mechanical stuff is still all in the wrong place.

I don't know how hard it is for these conversions but I believe it is quite possible in the case of cars that have been sold in both LHD and RHD forms. For cars where there's never been RHD versions designed, for example a lot of US cars and the Renault Twingo, I can see it being astronomically expensive to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's gonna be very expensive and not really worth it TBH. Pedals, steering, drivers door panel, wiring looms, headlights, dash and associated items, clutch and brake hydraulic systems, etc, etc. Personally I wouldn't be bothered. If I came I across an LHD I liked I'd just drive it as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

1621505.JPG

The Brother spotted this taxi in Bolivia

eh why cant I see images??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

1621505.JPG

The Brother spotted this taxi in Bolivia

eh why cant I see images??

A work in progress...............:D

Advertisement