Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Plans to reduce M50 chaos include barrier-free tolling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'm 100% certain that the thought hasn't occourred to anyone in the DoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

testicle wrote:
    I'm 100% certain that the thought hasn't occourred to anyone in the DoT.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

There will be one single point on the West Link area of the motorway, where cameras and antennae will detect car registrations.

Does this mean they're not going to toll the entire road? I have a major issue with that anyway, as the taxpayer built the road,and NTR the bridge. So it would be unfair to charge people for using the road when they don't use the bridge.

Given the debacle with the e-voting machines, expect lots of chaos OFF the road. Grannies with no cars recieving bills, lads NEVER washing their number plates etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

overdriver wrote:
    ...lads NEVER washing their number plates etc etc

Great idea...

...but, I was pulled for a dirty number plate a few years back by a Bean Garda on a bike. (No, it wasn't a date! :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Devon wrote:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=MHAUAUCWCWQL

Anyone got any idea how they plan to deal with cars that aren't registered in the country?
    They plan to link up with the UK and other European countries and exchange driver information so someone who commits a driving offence here will get points in their home country, and vice versa. I reckon they'll do the same with tolls, parking fines, etc.

When they get this system in place is anyone's guess though!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Regarding single point tolling or tolling the entire M50 - the government will not make it out that they are intending on tolling the entire road until after the election!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

kbannon wrote:
    Regarding single point tolling or tolling the entire M50 - the government will not make it out that they are intending on tolling the entire road until after the election!
    I think tolling the entire M50 is the long term plan, they put a tender out for it recently. But I reckon they desperatly want to get the barriers remove, or at least have an announcement of a definite plan to remove them before the election.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm, so you buy a car second hand and you dont send in the C.O.O for a month, the original owner gets charged?! lol!! Sure, just removed ur front reg plate for the journey!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its the sellers responsibility to send of the cert of ownership (not that it really makes a difference)!

kbannon wrote:
    Its the sellers responsibility to send of the cert of ownership (not that it really makes a difference)!

Oh yeah!! My apologies! Dunno what I was thinking!! Doh!:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

They plan to link up with the UK and other European countries

Given that the points system here isn't integrated between DOE and the Garda pulse system I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

True! If it does happen, the polish economy will probably double over night! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Slow coach wrote:
    by a Bean Garda on a bike
    Who was she working for - Heinz?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

They are already linked up with other European countries with regards to parking fines speeding tickets etc so I doubt this would be any different. The only thing they can't transfer yet are the points.

As for the idea, I think it's a pre election gimic. It'll cost 5 times the amount initially quoted, take 3 years longer to introduce and will be abandoned after 2months due to the inability to follow up the "bills" due to a legal loophole some communist car nut will find.

I don't know why he'll be communist, I can just sense it...

sprinkles wrote:
    some communist car nut will find
    Any Communists, that I know, always insist on using public transport. ;)

Who was she working for - Heinz?? :D

Heinz???? Mr. Posh here!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

They are already linked up with other European countries with regards to parking fines speeding tickets
    Do you have evidence of this - I've had parking tickets in other European countries and never got anything back?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Devon wrote:
    Anyone got any idea how they plan to deal with cars that aren't registered in the country?

They don't have to pay any toll as there are no international agreements enforcing them to pay it. Was on the news this morning as the Government is changing the laws to stop Irish people being able to avoid paying the toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

How were we able to avoid it before the law was changed? I have paid it only once since May. I just go Lucan- Clonee. It's not that much slower, depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I am not sure, but the radio said there was a loophole that meant you could avoid paying any toll road fee. They didn't explain how.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    I am not sure, but the radio said there was a loophole that meant you could avoid paying any toll road fee. They didn't explain how.
    If you arrive at a toll booth without money, they take your details and forward a bill. Apparently if you refuse to pay that bill there is no legislation available to them to take any action to force payment. Perhaps that is the present loophole? (I can't confirm this but heard it said a few times).

Advertisement