Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More feckin NTL trouble...

Options
  • 01-03-2007 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I can only seem to access .ie domains, i've tried several .com, .co.uk, .org and .tv sites this evening with no success. What gives? are NTL messing with my head?

Thanking the stars I still have boards, though :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mines all over the shop too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yeah, just .ie and .net accessible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

mine is connecting then disconnecting every few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Same here. (Citywest). Dodgy DNS. sip.blueface.ie is fine but boards and lots of other .ie sites not accessible. I wonder if the NTL caches/proxies still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Same here - Terenure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Same here [Dun Laoghaire]... but I don't think its dns related as I use a third party dns server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

same here in Blanch - getting p'd off with the connecting-disconnecting crap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

thank god for open wireless access points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Fixed now but it was wrecked for ages.

They still haven't fixed the blogger problem either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

same thing happened to me & a few different mates

*deep breath, rant begins* so I rang NTL & eventually got on to thier helpdesk (she only sounded 15 years of age), I explained the problem told her what troubleshooting I did reboot pc/router/modem/ ping addresses etc & that I could access some sites but not others, she then went through her script to reboot my pc blah blah blah even though I told her I've already done it & it wouldn't make a diference, she then said it was my cable modem at fault & she would have to log a call with an engineer, she wouldn't take no for an answer, she said the earliest an engineer could come out was Tuesday, i once again told her that it wasn't a problem with the cable modem & that other people were having the same problem...but she wouldn't listen...so 30 mins later surprise surprise it's working again...

Sorry but if you call that technical support we might as well all give up, I used to work on a helpdesk many moons ago & if I had been like that I would have lost my job...it makes my blood boil!

*Rant over*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Been patchy for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i noticed some .coms are not coming up in the browser even though i can ping them. I thought it was weird for some major sites to be offline but I could access them at work today...

yet another ntl prob...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had some problem here in Waterford, took about 40min untill service returned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

In blanch and have problem of disconnecting every 15 mins or so too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Web browsing is lousy, keep getting failed connections to the NTL DNS server (89.101.160.5):

E:\Documents and Settings\Paul>ping 89.101.160.5

Pinging 89.101.160.5 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.101.160.5: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=252
    Reply from 89.101.160.5: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=252

Ping statistics for 89.101.160.5:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 19ms

E:\Documents and Settings\Paul>ping 89.101.160.5

Pinging 89.101.160.5 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.101.160.5: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=252
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.101.160.5: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=252
    Reply from 89.101.160.5: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=252

Ping statistics for 89.101.160.5:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 24ms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah ****e for me to I couldnt access sites for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

MUCH better this morning - has anyone else noticed an improvement?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

dont get carried away on saturday (or sunday) mornings. NTL always flies along as theres so few users. I found this pattern over the last year. Weekend mornings are fastest, weekday evenings can be slowest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

I don't know what's going on with NTL, but in the past few weeks;

- Can't access any *.blogspot.com addresses
    - Blocked from photo sharing sites
    - YouTube videos not loading or only loading halfway (I don't know is this a YouTube or an NTL problem, but it's very coincidental)
    - VOIP cutting out or poor connections (Skype and Blueface)

What are they up to? - I'm probably going to change to Digiweb if this continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

tonyj wrote:

- YouTube videos not loading or only loading halfway (I don't know is this a YouTube or an NTL problem, but it's very coincidental)

Have exactly the same problems but haven't noticed the YouTube one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

My perspective on NTL is this:

1) I need to have a bulletproof broadband connection

2) NTL has:

a) Stopped working for hours and days at a time, with no explanation
    b) Demonstrated they cant respond in a reasonable time period (after getting through, the next engineer date was set two weeks away)
    c) Blocked and disabled various sites for no reason (like geocities)
    d) Often has issues wheren I can only load two or three sites at a time, and then others need to be reloaded

2) I can't trust NTL to enable this anymore - and there have been too many problems too many times. So I'm switching to SMART. They offer:

Unlimited Landline calls to Ireland, plus 8meg broadband with no download limits, for 56 euros a month, including line rental. I've already ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not very many people can get Smart Telecom, and they are hardly bulletproof either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

same thing happened to me & a few different mates

*deep breath, rant begins* so I rang NTL & eventually got on to thier helpdesk (she only sounded 15 years of age), I explained the problem told her what troubleshooting I did reboot pc/router/modem/ ping addresses etc & that I could access some sites but not others, she then went through her script to reboot my pc blah blah blah even though I told her I've already done it & it wouldn't make a diference, she then said it was my cable modem at fault & she would have to log a call with an engineer, she wouldn't take no for an answer, she said the earliest an engineer could come out was Tuesday, i once again told her that it wasn't a problem with the cable modem & that other people were having the same problem...but she wouldn't listen...so 30 mins later surprise surprise it's working again...

Sorry but if you call that technical support we might as well all give up, I used to work on a helpdesk many moons ago & if I had been like that I would have lost my job...it makes my blood boil!

*Rant over*

I've had to listen to that crap from NTL support as well time and time again. Each time I just ask to speak to a supervisor and that usually gets them to actually listen to what you are saying. Their customer service is probably the worst ever in the universe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

i have chorus broadband which i suppose is the same as ntl bb as there the same company. i feel your pain. today my broadband is working like a dream but maybe tomorrow it mightn't connect at all

very very frustrating!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

watty wrote:
    Not very many people can get Smart Telecom, and they are hardly bulletproof either.

I've had them for over two years on two different exchanges, and I've lost connection once.

And their tech support forum's always been quick to respond to any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I have had major troubles with ntl since before christmas. it just continues to work on and off mostly off though. like right now. my neighbour is getting it too. I rang them about a week ago and as soon as I gave my account details and name i sat watching the lights on the modem and when i was talking to the girl it magically fixed itself for a few hours but it just continues to go on. it is very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

tonyj wrote:

What are they up to? - I'm probably going to change to Digiweb if this continues.

known issue... http://status.blogger.com/

NTL are saying it's a blogger issue; blogger can't find any issues their end but are investigating. looking at the routing information for blogspot from NTL Ireland IPs suggests that it's an NTL routing issue but that is speculation).

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

Well I'm on chorus in Cork and can't access blogger either. Blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Ok i'm fairly shure NTL just dropped there for a few minutes. I didnt loose sync but I couldnt load any sites either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Akula wrote:
    Well I'm on chorus in Cork and can't access blogger either. Blah.

Chorus and NTL are owned by the same company (UPC) so you're probably getting the same weird routing and issues as folk on NTL Ireland and the various Virgin Media ISPs in the UK (Virgin recently bought NTL UK, Telewest and Blueyonder).

UPC still seems to be using the NTL backbone network in the UK for some routes so anyone else transiting over the backbone will likely see the same issue.

Advertisement