Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge -Henry James's Turn of the Screw

Options
  • 01-03-2007 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

This is a challenge for you.

I have heard of this reference from Henry James' Turn of the Screw:
    There are three things in human life that are important. The first is to be kind. The second one is to be kind. And the third one is to be kind.

Can I challenge every/anyone to find out from where in the book this quote comes?
    I have downloaded the free digital copy and I can't find any reference to this in Turn of the Screw. :confused:
    I had a quick look at the penguin edition in my local library and i can't find it in there either.

Is it from another James text?

It is such a great quote; but I need to find the original reference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

According to wikiquote, it's only been attributed to him: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_James

I know wiki's not always reliable but this might be correct. I did a search of his online works and it didn't turn up.

I think it would be ok to quote it and put "attributed" after, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

Thanks.
    I love this one too!

Life's too short for chess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

TT&TO wrote:
    Thanks.
    I love this one too!

Life's too short for chess.

Tis true. :D

Advertisement