Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Commercial Vehicle and VAT

Options
  • 01-03-2007 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

I am wondering if somebody can clear this up for me.

My father has his own registered business as a sole trader. He uses his private car for business work also.

We were considering buying a twin cab pickup to use fo business when it is required, but i would be driving it everyday as my personal vehicle.

If we buy a vehicle of this type, will we be able to claim the VAT back on the purchase? Will this work on a used vehicle? Even if it is sold privately? It would be something like a twincab l200 pickup or a twincab isuzu d max. Would there be any implications because I would be using it as my private vehicle also and it will only be used for work purposes (for my fathers business) 50% of the time.

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I just had a quick look at carzone, and there are a few 2nd hand SUVs that have something like this: €22,450 (€18,554 ex-VAT if applicable) so that would indicate that you can claim the VAT back? That was from a dealer though, so no idea about a private sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

eoin_s wrote:
    I just had a quick look at carzone, and there are a few 2nd hand SUVs that have something like this: €22,450 (€18,554 ex-VAT if applicable) so that would indicate that you can claim the VAT back? That was from a dealer though, so no idea about a private sale.

Yeah, thats the way I am thinking, would more than likely buy through a dealer anyway. Thanks for the advice! :)

cooper_man wrote:
    Yeah, thats the way I am thinking, would more than likely buy through a dealer anyway. Thanks for the advice! :)

I'd say ask on the motors forum as well - wasn't the crewcab loophole closed a while ago or something like that?

I'd say the VAT, tax and insurance are three different things you'll have to look into.

cooper_man wrote:

I happened to be talking to someone about this tonight, as I may be going down that road also. He says that you can claim the VAT back if you buy from a dealer. When you go to sell the vehicle, you will have to pay the VAT then - but based on the OMSP or something like that.

Advertisement